Check up reveals hole in beak and possible leg mites?

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
I have a broody girl in broody jail starting this morning. When I got home I walked over to hang out with her and noticed two things: she has a hole in her beak and her leg scales look raised.

As for the beak, I’ve seen several posts regarding this same issue and never saw a resolution. Anyone else know anything?

As for the feet, are these scaly mites?

Attachments

• 55B1A555-056A-4E53-9876-9F24CE49BF6A.jpeg
    55B1A555-056A-4E53-9876-9F24CE49BF6A.jpeg
    383.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 98A2FA85-B448-43AA-B8DC-FFB9B775CDEA.jpeg
    98A2FA85-B448-43AA-B8DC-FFB9B775CDEA.jpeg
    524.6 KB · Views: 41
Not sure about the other symptoms, but the hole in the beak could possibly be from a canker. Sometimes if canker is left to long it can eat through the beak. I've only seen it happen in pigeons though (as their beaks are slightly softer).

Not sure about the other symptoms, but the hole in the beak could possibly be from a canker. Sometimes if canker is left to long it can eat through the beak. I've only seen it happen in pigeons though (as their beaks are slightly softer).
I looked up some images of pigeon cankers and they looked pretty crazy and full of growth? This doesn’t *seem* to be the same thing.

I found two old threads with a few other chickens that had the same hole, but no diagnosis was ever made:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hole-in-beak-what-is-this-picture-included.422235/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hole-in-beak.759452/

Could be a mild case of SLM. I would apply vaseline to the legs a couple of times a week.

Not sure what the hole in the beak is. Could be from an old injury, papilloma or something else.

@Eggcessive may also have some suggestions.

I’ve suspected SLM for a few weeks, but last night I ended up doing a flock check and treating The legs directly. About half the flock has largely mild SLM which is very frustrating as my flock had always been clean and I just moved them into a brand spanking new coop. They probably had the mites before I moved them I just didn’t notice at that time 😑

It’s probably controversial, but I wanted to attack this quickly and get it over so I went with the gasoline method. I ordered some ivermectin, but I’m going to hold off on using that until the fall if I can. I don’t want to waste all of those eggs if I can avoid it.

Last edited:
I looked up some images of pigeon cankers and they looked pretty crazy and full of growth? This doesn’t *seem* to be the same thing.

I found two old threads with a few other chickens that had the same hole, but no diagnosis was ever made:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hole-in-beak-what-is-this-picture-included.422235/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hole-in-beak.759452/

I’ve suspected SLM for a few weeks, but last night I ended up doing a flock check and treating for them locally. About half the flock has largely mild SLM which is very frustrating as my flock had always been clean and I just moved them into a brand spanking new coop. They probably had the mites before I moved them I just didn’t notice at that time 😑

It’s probably controversial, but I wanted to attack this quickly and get it over so I went with the gasoline method. I ordered some ivermectin, but I’m going to hold off on using that until the fall if I can. I don’t want to waste all of those eggs if I can avoid it.
I don't think the legs are that severe, could be some dryness as well.
I would have no issues using the gasoline method myself, folks have used that for years. I think the key would be follow up (I assume you are using Chicken Chick's Method or similar). Then monitor afterward like you always do.

I don't think the legs are that severe, could be some dryness as well.
I would have no issues using the gasoline method myself, folks have used that for years. I think the key would be follow up (I assume you are using Chicken Chick's Method or similar). Then monitor afterward like you always do.

Yes I read her suggestions about the gasoline method first, then read about some folks’ experiences with it on BYC. Even my “wild” chickens handled it well. I let them dry well and put a fan in the window to pull out the air for a little extra ventilation, just in case.

As for the hole in my hen’s beak, it almost looks as if her comb detached from the beak. I forgot to mention I ordered some Baytril. She’s broody so not laying and has never been on antibiotics. I’m just going to err on the side of caution and give her seven days of antibiotics in case it is a result of a sinus infection and dab some antibiotic ointment on it before roost time to see if that helps.

I went out on a limb and emailed a poultry vet/professor from UC in Cali. It would be interesting to see if he responds since this seems to be an uncommon thing to happen.

For me, to be honest, if she's acting fine - eating/drinking, etc. I would not treat her with an antibiotic.
Have you ever had respiratory illness within your flock?

Most of those beak issues are from an injury from a sharp object, wire fencing, or feeder, but some can be from a papilloma virus and may fall off. Let us know how the leg treatment works. I have used ivermectin 5mg per ml pour-on on the back of the neck over the spine, in one hen that had severe leg mites. It needs to be repeated in 14 days, and eggs should be discarded for about 2 weeks.

For me, to be honest, if she's acting fine - eating/drinking, etc. I would not treat her with an antibiotic.
Have you ever had respiratory illness within your flock?
She's acting upset because she's a hormonal broody, but otherwise, normal yes. She always eats and drinks less when broody, but she's on Day 3 of isolation which is normally the last day for her. I'll at least have the meds on hand, just in case. I'll hold off. I'm still going to but ointment on her beak. It actually looks to me like the comb is detaching from the beak.

Most of those beak issues are from an injury from a sharp object, wire fencing, or feeder, but some can be from a papilloma virus and may fall off. Let us know how the leg treatment works. I have used ivermectin 5mg per ml pour-on on the back of the neck over the spine, in one hen that had severe leg mites. It needs to be repeated in 14 days, and eggs should be discarded for about 2 weeks.
It almost looks like it's the comb detaching from the beak. I would think injury, too, but there's no other indication of injury. When she is in broody jail, it is not uncommon for her to get tiny scratches on her comb where she flies into things. It would make sense to be an injury, it just doesn't look like one to me.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/ivermectin-solution

There's the Ivermectin I was able to get without a prescription. This says to put it in their water, but can this be poured on? I'd rather just keep the mites under control and then hit the ground running in the fall when they aren't laying. I just can't handle tossing all those eggs... I get 10-12 a day on average.

Back
Top Bottom