Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
Good morning Rob,
Thanks so much for asking!

This is my first time raising chickens & the past 2 yrs have been an adventure! I have BR's, EE's & Wyandottes. Words can not express how comforting it is to have found Backyard Chickens. It has proven to be an invaluable resource with extremely helpful, like-minded people.
If someone had told me 2 yrs ago that I would absolutely love my birds, I would have laughed. Dirty backyard chickens-nope, not me! I truly enjoy keeping them clean, healthy & happy. I seem to have accomplished that with the kind assistance of this forum. My husband has learned that I do not see caring for our birds as "work". I have a cross-beak EE that has amazed us with her agility, intelligence & will to live. Her beak is trimmed regularly and w/ several food stations/supervised free range/chicken tractors she is integrated & self sufficient. Taught my birds "up" & "down" commands as youngsters, so they know to associate the action w/command. Two lighter weight(4lbs) EE's will leap up onto my arm for treats, my rooster will stop so I can pick all 8 lbs of him up & cuddle. Who loves their rooster? I do! Besides being a handsome Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, he tries to feed & protect me. Their differing personalities & voices between breeds & individuals intrigues me. Yes, I could go on & on, but I will stop & send a big "Thank you!!" to the kind, knowledgeable people here. Perhaps one day I will be able to contribute to the conversation & help someone.
Plz forgive the randomness of this message. Now it's time to go outside and hold a bird, or two, or......😊

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hi!!

We have been so busy!!!
This morning we had a hen with a comb injury, fixed that up and she is doing great back in the flock with pine tar to keep the rooster off her, Vetericyn, and some TAL. We have had a broody hen for going on 3 weeks no fertile eggs so we are going to pick up some barred rock chicks today and place them under her. We have a Buff that had 6 chicks 2 week ago and they all are doing fine. One of my favorite hens keeled over for no reason a bit ago and was treating another with water belly, she passed last month in the house comfortably… It has been a busy spring here at Chicken Little Ranch, but all is great!!!

Blessings to you all
Sandie

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
This is fun :) I love how everyone is posting about new birds! I just got my meat chicks 2 weeks ago and have 2 meat ducks. My egg ducks and chickens are still doing well except the ducks have been lazy about laying recently

Good morning! Life is good on the farm ☺ The chickens are doing great! We're one big healthy family with zero issues (thus far thank the Lord). Thank you for reaching out and checking on us busy birds, lol. Love everyone! Lynne Dunlap ❤
BCXQ5705.JPG

Of course, I’ll reply. I often come for advice, but it will be two years since I got my first set of chickens. The buffs are doing really well and they are more pets than a flock. this spring. I ordered four more buffs who are one week old today. They are adorable, we are adding on to our coop and will be putting the small girls in the existing small coop. Once they feathered out and the older ladies will be in a much larger space until they’re all acclimated. keeping up with the daily chore of picking up poops and changing water Has definitely kept them all healthy as well as using organic feed. I use the green Mountain organic soy free feed and I have noticed a huge difference in the color of their combs. Thanks for asking about how we’re doing and keep on raising your own chickens!

The ladies are doing great! We have had a few issues (northern fowl mites) and lost one chicken (I think she was egg bound) but thanks to everyone here that gave me advice on how to remedy we made it through for the most part. We have three more babies coming in May!

Hello! Our little flock is doing well! We had to separate our rooster during his first spring and summer because he was too much for the hens, but when we allowed him back in for the winter he was much better. I am relieved that so far this spring the flock still seems to be living in harmony. I am still grateful for all the info shared by this BYC group to help get us started!

Back
Top Bottom