Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Still here. I read posts but don’t usually post anything. Have a flock of 14, learned to waterglass eggs in 5 gallon buckets and keep my kids and their families in eggs.
My best layers yet have been “Mystic Marans”. Nice egg color and great layers. I loved my little cream Legbars, but the bigger hens picked on them so I rehomed them and they are doing well in their new flock.

Overtaken by life, and death, and after posting at least a couple of times asking questions or hoping for help with zero responses/interaction, thought maybe this wasn't the right place for me.
Did you see the responses to both of your threads? They both do have responses.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hello, everyone! What a sweet thing- to check in on each other! Unfortunately, I do not have chickens anymore. I got very sick and lost my job because of it, and winter was coming and I was so worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up with my babies, so I panicked and rehomed them. I regret that so deeply, and I'd give anything to be able to afford to start up again, and hope hard that I will be able to. My 2 years with my flock was a childhood dream come true and hands down, the most fulfilling experience. I appreciate everyone in this group for all of the advice and wisdom that was shared with me. If anyone is ever considering getting chickens, DO IT! I have recommended this group to everyone who has ever uttered the word "chicken" in my presence, lol. If anyone finds themselves feeling overwhelmed or unable to keep up for any reason, please call on the help of others before giving up and regretting it.
Have a wonderful weekend, everyone! ✌🏻💜🐔

Hi all, thanks for reaching out. Sorry I have been MIA, I have been active on the FB page. Anyhow my flock is amazing I love my girls so much. I've had some changes, still have 3 of my original girls. Anya, Buffy, and Willow. Xander had to be rehomed as he became a naughty boy.
Besides my 3 I now have 3 silkies, 2 sultans, and 2 seramas. Had 3 but unfortunately lost 1 that came to me sick and passed after 44 days of fighting. Also just hatched another serama and sultan.

Attachments

• 20240424_133043.jpg
    20240424_133043.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20240423_105814.jpg
    20240423_105814.jpg
    664.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240304_150150.jpg
    20240304_150150.jpg
    515.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240227_090232.jpg
    20240227_090232.jpg
    843.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20231231_105504.jpg
    20231231_105504.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240301_195952.jpg
    20240301_195952.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240304_144221.jpg
    20240304_144221.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 1
Hello, everyone! What a sweet thing- to check in on each other! Unfortunately, I do not have chickens anymore. I got very sick and lost my job because of it, and winter was coming and I was so worried that I wouldn't be able to keep up with my babies, so I panicked and rehomed them. I regret that so deeply, and I'd give anything to be able to afford to start up again, and hope hard that I will be able to. My 2 years with my flock was a childhood dream come true and hands down, the most fulfilling experience. I appreciate everyone in this group for all of the advice and wisdom that was shared with me. If anyone is ever considering getting chickens, DO IT! I have recommended this group to everyone who has ever uttered the word "chicken" in my presence, lol. If anyone finds themselves feeling overwhelmed or unable to keep up for any reason, please call on the help of others before giving up and regretting it.
Have a wonderful weekend, everyone! ✌🏻💜🐔
You will have chickens again one day. :fl

Hello, checking back in! Went through a round of homelessness, and van life right now. Had chickens keeping me going through it all, though I’ve lost my original flock to coyotes I’ve now housing a grey Cochin who is a sweet heart. Hope she’ll start laying soon and I can find a good rooster for her once I get settled in this new town I’ve ended up in. No longer a Buddhist monk as I had some hardships that made me break some vows I couldn’t quite upkeep with the tradition though it taught me much and aids me to this day. Will need to update my name for that XD I appreciate the reach out to check in, is a good community I greatly appreciated when I raised my first flock of lovely birds. Awoke a deep love of all sorts of birds.

Hi all,

Life has been busy. Have been showing my chooks in the poultry shows but won't get to his year as I'm travelling around my country for a bit. Hopefully next year I can continue with them. I've lost a few roosters, one being my beautiful coronation Sussex roo, who was looking very promising, so I'm having a break from breeding them for a while too. Hopefully when I get back into it I can upgrade the coop and get another beautiful roo to continue my lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! This is a wonderful idea. I've been sick so didn't have chicks last year. But this year...my chicks just hatched yesterday! They're from a Jubilee Orpington rooster with a lavender and a buff Orp hen, and a black pea-comb- having Orp look-alike. I'm excited to see what colors they turn out! So far 5 look like this dark one, and the other 2 are buff.

Attachments

• 20240426_115415.jpg
    20240426_115415.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Still enjoying raising chickens and ducks. Reduced flock from 60+ to about 12 (sold the younger ones) due to being unable to deal with a large flock due to injury. Have a broody duck, so waiting to see what happens there.

I have 20 hens- ISA browns, barred rocks, Americanas & Easter eggers. 2 runs, one being a hoop coop. Spoil them with crumbles, treat mix of sunflower seeds, oats & corn that I sprout, and most recently a little black soldier fly larvae. In Georgia getting about 9-10 eggs a day. Try to let them out briefly end of day, always at the risk of predator attack.
IMG_4633.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom