Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Hello,
My chickens are living and doing great. Their characters and their behavior are different, but they live very friendly. In winter they pecked each other's eggs every day. Now, finally, they don’t do this. Only the young ones sometimes stab their own. Thanks for your advice about golf balls. I will continue with you. Sure.
I am glad they stopped eating the eggs. Make sure they are getting a balanced diet...it helps prevent the egg eating.

Hi! I was a first time chicken owner when I joined two years ago and this site has been so helpful! We still have our original flock minus one (rip Bea, my sweet pea). Losing your first chicken is hard and I had lots of anxiety after that over keeping them all safe and healthy but have been able to learn a lot and made tons of improvements along the way. I definitely still scour the threads when I run into issues but haven’t needed to post in a while. Still love the site and this community!
Glad to hear the rest of the flock is thriving.

Thanks for the invite to reply. I’m here - I read the forums when I get the email. Call me a “lurker.” Just busy since coming out of retirement. Next batch of hens out on grass and have a new bigger coop under construction. Turkeys and meet birds coming in July.
Take pictures of the new coop as it's being built, I'd love to see the progress.

Hi guys! Super busy as well! Just made a new open for some BB Turkeys coming after July 4th. Planted some sorghum in the run for shade and something to snack on. We’ll see how it goes
How many turkeys did you order?

We've been really busy this past year. We made a big move. We finally pick up chicks next week to start again after having to sell our last flock to move across the country.
Is your coop finished and ready to go so you can brood the chicks in it?

I haven't been getting the emails from BYC for over a year now. I used to get notice when someone posted. I thought maybe I was off the list mail list.

We have had loss in the last 6 months. Our beloved first chicken, Lacey, had to be put to sleep at the vet at 12 years old. Then her partner of 6 years, Cagney, passed in her sleep a few months later. I believe from a broken heart. She was never the same after Lacey passed.

We had another rescue chicken, Little Bit, who was nearly bald. She grew her feathers back and was beautiful but she was one of those short lived breeds. Renal failure. We had to put her to sleep at the vet.

So now we have Mabel and Charlotte, golden laced Wyandottes. They are delightful and adapting well to the spoiled life that chickens have in our back yard.

We plan to get two more Wyandottes. We like them because they're cold hardy.

My husband built a new coop and run by modifying kits. We reinforced the hardware cloth inside with 2x3 fencing on the outside. Also put poly lattice underneath the entire foundation so nothing can dig in. They are very safe and secure.
You don't get those alerts for each particular thread more than once...UNLESS you log back in and check the thread.

Hi! Cute idea and loads of replies! Great! I lost a couple hens from my original flock this past year so I have 3 left. I decided to add some pullets this year since my remaining original girls are 3 years old. I got one olive-egger and one blue copper marans and they are very flighty and afraid of me. I’m hoping they’ll grow out of it but it’s probably not going to happen. View attachment 3813192
Give them time...they will grow out of it.

We are doing good! Yes, been very busy! I’ve got several broody hens setting. Had a Guinea missing, she finally came home with 24 keets (first time Mom) I wasn’t able to confine and separate her from everybody else. We had storms come thru and within 72 hours they were all dead 🥺 except 2 that I was able to find and put in the brooder. Two of my hens have nests, and I’ve got a hen raising a brood. BABIES, BABIES, BABIES!!!! 🐣😊🥰
That’s a lot of babies! Good luck and please post pics

Back
Top Bottom