Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

My husband hatched a batch of 19 chickens. That's a covid of chickens if you weren't aware. We now have 11 roosters. We built a monastery for them so they can live lives of celibacy away from all those hens. They love it!
That's interesting; I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing. For awhile I was keeping my flock at 19, but currently it's at 18 due to a loss. Have they all started crowing yet?

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield
Haha yeah, don't need to reply to that one :gig

It has been months since I have been on here, I think probably about 6 months, and I had countless messages asking where I was. Figured I post once here and refer folks to it.

We went on a 2 day trip and had a relative come over and tend to the chickens, quails, goats, pigs, etc for the time we were gone. We avoid trips for this reason - it is a lot to ask someone to take care of.

To make a really devastating, long story short, this person neglected to come over on the evening of the second night to close the animals and the front gate to the property. This allowed what looked to be 6 to 8 coyotes (cameras) into the property who killed almost everything but the pigs and some adult goats. There were a few chickens who safely hid in the trees, and we had our polishes in a different area, but we had over 80 chickens killed and their bodies left scattered across the property - mostly uneaten.

Anyway, it was emotionally the worst period of time I have experienced in a long time. We have rebuilt quite a bit to this point, but still missing a lot of animals that we loved dearly. It was hard to think about getting on here and posting.

But, im excited to be back here with my BYC friends and talking some chicks with spring in full bloom. I hope you are all doing well.

It has been months since I have been on here, I think probably about 6 months, and I had countless messages asking where I was. Figured I post once here and refer folks to it.

We went on a 2 day trip and had a relative come over and tend to the chickens, quails, goats, pigs, etc for the time we were gone. We avoid trips for this reason - it is a lot to ask someone to take care of.

To make a really devastating, long story short, this person neglected to come over on the evening of the second night to close the animals and the front gate to the property. This allowed what looked to be 6 to 8 coyotes (cameras) into the property who killed almost everything but the pigs and some adult goats. There were a few chickens who safely hid in the trees, and we had our polishes in a different area, but we had over 80 chickens killed and their bodies left scattered across the property - mostly uneaten.

Anyway, it was emotionally the worst period of time I have experienced in a long time. We have rebuilt quite a bit to this point, but still missing a lot of animals that we loved dearly. It was hard to think about getting on here and posting.

But, im excited to be back here with my BYC friends and talking some chicks with spring in full bloom. I hope you are all doing well.
Oh no, I am so sorry. :hugs

I wondered where the Polish expert went, but I hoped the reason you were gone for a while wasn't that bad. I'm so sorry you lost a lot of your birds. :hugs I can't even imagine the heartache you went through, and I sympathize greatly.

I hope you do come around again once in a while, but I completely understand if you don't. Again, I'm so sorry for all you went through.

I'm sorry life hasn't been treating you super well. I hope the next season is better. :hugs The chicken community is the best, even if you no longer have peeps. Beware though, seeing photos of everyone else's chickens is dangerous, it'll make you want more of your own!
Oh trust me. I miss my babies. I went into tractor supply the other day and they had bantam chick's and ducks. I wanted to sit in the middle of them

I am sorry that you lost so many!

Best wishes on getting a flock going again.

Back
Top Bottom