Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

This sounds like a fun idea! I wonder if you'll get any replies????
Hi Folks,
All great here. We finally got Betty to stop making the awful noise by moving things around in the stable they sleep in. I think it disturbed her pattern of behaviour. She can still shout but it’s occasional now not constant. I think it’s still on YouTube ‘This is Betty’ Check it out. A duck with an amazing set of lungs! X
Hey everyone. It’s been a great time. Learning as we go. Lost a flock two years ago to a bobcat. But all is well now. I actually had a question. Our silkies just hatched their own eggs! It’s so cool seeing Gods creation at work! But, we were wondering. So we keep the chicks in there with the hens. We have small coop with 5 silkie hens. Not sure whose babies they are. Theirs 3 hens seeming to want to be around them. Suggestions please!

Hey everyone. It’s been a great time. Learning as we go. Lost a flock two years ago to a bobcat. But all is well now. I actually had a question. Our silkies just hatched their own eggs! It’s so cool seeing Gods creation at work! But, we were wondering. So we keep the chicks in there with the hens. We have small coop with 5 silkie hens. Not sure whose babies they are. Theirs 3 hens seeming to want to be around them. Suggestions please!
Congratulations. I always leave my mothers and chicks with the flock, but it depends on how accepting and gentle your flock is. Just keep an eye out.

Hello! I’ve been busy with end of the school year activities, such as hatching chicks in my classroom. I actually came here today to ask for help with a chick that has a bad leg….i think it’s a slipped tendon. Not sure. One leg won’t straighten out and is folding up and toes are curled. I’m going to post a video in the appropriate thread. Other than that, I have about 25 chickens happily roaming my backyard.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
I have been more lurking. Update, lost three of my 5 hens last summer. Rescued 2 special needs pups from neglect and probably abuse. So my life has been in turmoil, trying to train these guys. Then in Feb I got more chicks. They are about 16 weeks old now, and they are still having trouble with integration with my two older ladies. I live in GA, and today it's 90, already. They do not have their combs and wattles in fully yet, so temperature regulation is difficult. They would do anything to stay away from the older two, and that includes, staying away from their food and water and cooling treats. For the most part the older girls hardly care about them anymore. So trying to keep them cool has been a challenge. I'm afraid they will rather die than go get cool treats. Not to mention their food and water. Any ideas? I literately have to close the hot coop so they don't go in or under it, in the sun. (I don't have much shade) Got a fan on everyone, their cool treats, and I planted some trees that help with the enclosure, but not the coop. How else can I help them integrate and not die from heat stroke?

I have been more lurking. Update, lost three of my 5 hens last summer. Rescued 2 special needs pups from neglect and probably abuse. So my life has been in turmoil, trying to train these guys. Then in Feb I got more chicks. They are about 16 weeks old now, and they are still having trouble with integration with my two older ladies. I live in GA, and today it's 90, already. They do not have their combs and wattles in fully yet, so temperature regulation is difficult. They would do anything to stay away from the older two, and that includes, staying away from their food and water and cooling treats. For the most part the older girls hardly care about them anymore. So trying to keep them cool has been a challenge. I'm afraid they will rather die than go get cool treats. Not to mention their food and water. Any ideas? I literately have to close the hot coop so they don't go in or under it, in the sun. (I don't have much shade) Got a fan on everyone, their cool treats, and I planted some trees that help with the enclosure, but not the coop. How else can I help them integrate and not die from heat stroke?
It is good to hear from you!

Move the two older hens out of the coop an into a cage in the garage.

Wait several days and add one of them back. The pecking order should have been disrupted and the one will have to integrate back. Wait until things are not dangerous in the coop and then add the second old one in.

If it does not work the first time, do try again until it works.

Can you get a patio umbrella to add shade? I have one and it works very well to keep the coop cooler.

It is good to hear from you!

Move the two older hens out of the coop an into a cage in the garage.

Wait several days and add one of them back. The pecking order should have been disrupted and the one will have to integrate back. Wait until things are not dangerous in the coop and then add the second old one in.

If it does not work the first time, do try again until it works.

Can you get a patio umbrella to add shade? I have one and it works very well to keep the coop cooler.
Thank you, I don't have a garage. The big girls hardly notice them anymore, but will sporadirun at them. I can try the umbrella though.

Thank you, I don't have a garage. The big girls hardly notice them anymore, but will sporadirun at them. I can try the umbrella though.
It is good news that they do not pay attention to them! The new chicks will get used to the coop setup eventually.

The shade will be a big help!

Back
Top Bottom