CHEEP coop/run for bantams or 2 hens-Budget 39.99 smackers_DONE!

Ha Nadine! Great minds and all that. I was looking at my kids out radio flyer with predatory eyes yesterday.
lau.gif
Not sure they are ready to give it up. Might check out the swap shop at the transfer station.
smile.png

That looks great! Hooray for recycled materials
big_smile.png
We're doing that too.. but with a 22x32 run. The one you made will be nice and sturdy once you get your hardware cloth on it.

Good job
big_smile.png

Wow Shellie, what are you using for your recycled run?

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO CUT FLIPPIN' HARDWARE CLOTH EASILY?
roll.png
And should I just cover the whole thing or should I make it real purty and cut sections for each panel?

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Industrial shear. Outside of that, I dunno.
And always go for well planned "purty" - its a sign of careful craftsmanship.
To borrow a phrase "Sloppy is as sloppy does."

Quote:
My advice: cover the whole thing...a little less work, and less risk of predators getting in where you have each piece cut...just use one solid piece for as much of it as you can. It'll look great either way as long as it's even and pulled tight enough.

At least you are on your way of making this cheep coop and run budget friendly!

I know hardware wire aint cheap either but cheaper than losing chicks!

If I had a bellied up lawmower, I would have shipped you the wheels LOL! We threw the mower in the garbage man to take.

back wheels off an old grill would be nice too!

Quote:
O, yeah I pick up all wheels. Lawnmowers, old grills, bikes if they have solid rims, wheels wheels wheels.

Cinder blocks and 5 gallon buckets, too.

Oooops, I got off thread. Sorry.
(** wheels **)

Quote:
Excellent philosophy. I will add some details too. I like the scope of this project sooooooooooo much better than our gigantic sprawling old farmhouse, barns, sheds and gardage. This one is so finite!
yippiechickie.gif

I LOVE the wheel ideas. I am going to the transfer station, okay, it's the dump, and getting some wheels tomorrow!

Ewesheep, I have truly begun to appreciate cheep, cheep, cheep later in life. It is much more of a challenge than with an open ended budget.
smile.png

Here is what the last 1.5 hours has yielded. Painted the run and added a tin roof from a scrap piece in the barn. I used tin snips without cutting my hand. I guess I will try them for the hardware cloth too.

100_2576.jpg

I wonder if I could use a metal cutting blade for the hardware cloth with my dh's skill saw?

Okay 4.5 hours time.
Budget- 5.84 (including a clasp and carbineer I bought today)

Please pray for me that I do not loose a limb or digit. I am very clumsy and spacey.
gig.gif

ps (I can see Davaroo walking around his neighborhood on garbage day eve with a flashlight strapped to his head looking for coop materials.
lau.gif
)

Quote:
Excellent philosophy. I will add some details too. I like the scope of this project sooooooooooo much better than our gigantic sprawling old farmhouse, barns, sheds and gardage. This one is so finite!
yippiechickie.gif

I LOVE the wheel ideas. I am going to the transfer station, okay, it's the dump, and getting some wheels tomorrow!

Ewesheep, I have truly begun to appreciate cheep, cheep, cheep later in life. It is much more of a challenge than with an open ended budget.
smile.png

Here is what the last 1.5 hours has yielded. Painted the run and added a tin roof from a scrap piece in the barn. I used tin snips without cutting my hand. I guess I will try them for the hardware cloth too.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e54/horsegirl207/100_2576.jpg
I wonder if I could use a metal cutting blade for the hardware cloth with my dh's skill saw?

Okay 4.5 hours time.
Budget- 5.84 (including a clasp and carbineer I bought today)

Please pray for me that I do not loose a limb or digit. I am very clumsy and spacey.
gig.gif

ps (I can see Davaroo walking around his neighborhood on garbage day eve with a flashlight strapped to his head looking for coop materials.
lau.gif
)

Beeeyooty little shelter.
For the record, and I advise everyone of this: keep your 'Scrounge Radar' on at all times. Ensure your vehicle has good brakes and never drive too fast... you never know when a good helping if free material will present itself, just for stopping at roadside to collect it.

Looks nice, Jen.

Back
Top Bottom