Cheers from Missouri!

ThomsonCentennialFarm

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 17, 2011
Holliday, Missouri
I'm never good at these introduction things so I'll follow the template! I also just posted in the Missouri thread, so hi to all the Missourians here! I'm from Northeast-Central Missouri, live on the family century farm just north of the tiny village of Holliday.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I grew up having chickens when I was a kid, but never did much with them, they were my mom's chickens mostly. We wanted chickens again now that I have moved back to the family farm, so we picked up 25 this Spring from Orscheln (Estes Hatchery chicks).

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? We currently have 12 chickens remaining out of the 25 we bought this Spring (the other 13 cockrels got their "spa treatments" and are residing in the big white box in the basement). The assortment is 9 RIR pullets (we bought 10...so much for sexing...90% correct must be right LOL!), 1 RIR cockrel we're keeping ("Freddy"), 1 Buff Orpington pullet (out of the straight run fry pan specials), and 1 Easter Egger cockrel who was too pretty to get rid of. (I'm a softy.) Also just ordered 25 of the Duke's Special chicks from McMurray Hatchery to arrive next week sometime. We are building a new brooder box for them since we raised the first chicks in a sheep stock tank that was too small!

(3) What breeds do you have? Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpington, Easter Egger. We also had Barred Rock cockrels that are in the freezer now. Those are a huge pain to pluck! I ended up skinning two of them.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Google. Looking for answers and information on chickens and found my way here!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Sewing, quilting, crafting, collecting ephemera.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I am married and we have a 19 year old son who is starting his second year of college. Have 2 Great Pyrenees/Anatolian mix dogs who think the chickens are just funny dogs, 2 Rat terriers, 7 cats. None of them pay any attention to the chickens which is a good thing! Will be adding 10 Katahdin ewes as soon as we get our pen for them built! I also have a regular 8-5 job to pay the bills.

~Amy

15498_rain_on_glass.jpg

congrats on the chicks

Imp

Hi and welcome to BYC!
I found this forum on Google and I love it. Great place for info and chicken chats.
Am married with a 5 yo old son. Have 68 chickens of assorted breeds, but getting more soon, hen sitting on eggs at the moment. Also have 6 pigs, one mommy with 5 10 week old babes. Too cute!
When I'm not busy with all my children I sew (quilts) and read or garden. Love organic home-grown veggies!
See you on the forum:frow

Back
Top Bottom