Cheese?

Uzuri

Songster
10 Years
Mar 25, 2009
So you all seem a crafty lot--do we have any cheese makers here? And if you have made cheese, what sorts?

I've done Lemon, Mozzarella, Cheddar, Feta, and Chevre.

All I've done so far is Ricotta, but would love to try Mozzarella and Feta. How involved were they to make?

Once we build on our 5 acres I'm going to get some goats and start making cheese!
ya.gif
We eat SO much of it and love the occasional treat of soft cheeses so I can't wait! I'm subbing to this thread
smile.png

I'm a cheeser. I've done the vinegar cheese (great for cheesecake, by the way)., feta, mozz, cheddar, monterey jack, and probably more. All made with my goats milk. Lots of fun when I have the time. Forgot chevre.

Last edited:
Quote:
Mozzarella was easy, though I still have some moisture difficulties--I'll figure it out XD Feta wasn't difficult at all, though it is rather time consuming (as is anything but soft cheeses).

Calgal--wow on doing more than one cured cheese
smile.png
I did the cheddar, then decided that that was the end of that unless I got better facilities (read, a dedicated cheese-aging refrigerator).

Wow, all you crazy cheddar people, I may have to pick your brains. Mine was *very* tasty and very sharp, but a royal pain in the butt to make, and I had to deal with mold every day (that got better when I said "screw the wax, we're going to use olive oil!").

I love the part of cheesemaking that involves working with milk, but wow, the aging part does me in :p

Quote:
I've only ever made Ricotta (Delicious though)......but are you saying instead of drying cheese in wax you can coat it with olive oil & dry it that way?

***ETA: Where do you all get your cheese cultures from?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom