Cherished ducky moment

Learningstill

Songster
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013
I wanted to take a moment and share a sweet story. First, some history on the ducks involved. A mallard drake named Chestnut and a khaki Campbell duck named Tokla. They were raised together since they were ducklings, but were different ages. We noticed almost immediately that they left their clutch-mates and started to hang around each other. Soon they were inseparable. However, something was different with the two of them when compared with other duck pairs; they did not mate with each other. Fast forward six years and the two still remain inseparable and do not mate with each other. Chestnut will defend Tokla when other drakes try to breed with her, and he will breed with other ducks but never with his precious Tokla.

What's the cherished moment which prompted this? Well, at night the ducks are penned. But during the day they are loose. While free ranging, Tokla started a clutch hidden beneath our deck. How did I learn of this? The other morning I came out to open their gate and Tokla was laying beside the gate with anticipation of her release. I immediately tuned in as Chestnut was nowhere to be found. I almost didn't open the gate because I started worrying. But, I went ahead an opened it. She immediately started calling out to Chestnut and I watched as I heard him calling back. He came out from underneath the porch and in she went. He sat on her clutch over night as the temps dropped and she had no way of getting to her nest as she doesn't fly, but he does!!! Can you believe that??!!! Most beautiful moment raising ducks ever!:love Had to share this with you all, hope it brings warmth to your hearts

I wanted to take a moment and share a sweet story. First, some history on the ducks involved. A mallard drake named Chestnut and a khaki Campbell duck named Tokla. They were raised together since they were ducklings, but were different ages. We noticed almost immediately that they left their clutch-mates and started to hang around each other. Soon they were inseparable. However, something was different with the two of them when compared with other duck pairs; they did not mate with each other. Fast forward six years and the two still remain inseparable and do not mate with each other. Chestnut will defend Tokla when other drakes try to breed with her, and he will breed with other ducks but never with his precious Tokla.

What's the cherished moment which prompted this? Well, at night the ducks are penned. But during the day they are loose. While free ranging, Tokla started a clutch hidden beneath our deck. How did I learn of this? The other morning I came out to open their gate and Tokla was laying beside the gate with anticipation of her release. I immediately tuned in as Chestnut was nowhere to be found. I almost didn't open the gate because I started worrying. But, I went ahead an opened it. She immediately started calling out to Chestnut and I watched as I heard him calling back. He came out from underneath the porch and in she went. He sat on her clutch over night as the temps dropped and she had no way of getting to her nest as she doesn't fly, but he does!!! Can you believe that??!!! Most beautiful moment raising ducks ever!:love Had to share this with you all, hope it brings warmth to your hearts
Thank you for sharing. Gave me chills and made me tear up.

Back
Top Bottom