Cherry tree in the run

Hello to all of you :)
I'm learning about chickens * still a newbie and I'm confused over something I read so I'd appreciate if someone well experienced could enlighten me and give me advice. I have 10 chickens, they have a huge run, perches and everything else that should make them happy. There's a cherry tree in the run and right below it is the coop, I've put the coop under the tree on purpose because we have extremely high temperatures in summer so I just wanted to give them a nice shade to use and they pretty much abused it in summer haha, they absolutely loved it. Now, I've been reading some article about biosecurity and it says that the run should be minimized with trees due to potential predators and wild birds cause they could spread diseases. I'm not concerned about predators, no attacks over here, my rooster does his job pretty well and I've secured the run, the sides and the top layer with mesh net. What concerns me are the wild birds such as sparrows, domestic doves etc. I assume they mentioned wild birds and diseases cause of the posibility of them pooping right in the run if they were to use the tree to perch? And it's a cherry tree, it is irresistible... Now, should I really cut the tree due to this? Is it really a major concern? If so, I don't mind doing it for my chickens if it has to be done but then I know they would be struggling in summer cause I'd be depriving them of shade where they love to chill and dustbath... I feel like being torn between two sides haha I'd really appreciate any advice :)
I am almost always anti tree removal :) especially any kind of fruit tree. The times when the fruit is falling you could place a tarp/tarps over the run. That would be the time other birds would be pooping on it more often. Plus the tarp would also create a shade.

Back
Top Bottom