Cheryl's Hen House...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TerryH, Mar 17, 2016.

1. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop

Yes. We're both excited about getting acquainted with our new little ones. Cheryl especially. [​IMG] We've reserved 3 Black Astrolorps and 3 Buff Orpingtons. We will go to the hatchery and make up our mind from there on the rest. Some mix of Wellsummers, Blue Lace Red Wyandottees and Black Copper Marans. 12 total to start. We should have plenty of coop and run space for that many.

2. Coopmom56

Coopmom56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    Texas Panhandle
    My Coop
    We "finished" (is it ever really finished?) our coop just before Christmas. The best thing we did was get an automatic chicken door. To me, it was worth every penny! There are lots of ideas for feeders and waterers - the 5 gallon waterers are great, and check out the 5-gallon-bucket feeder, made with a pipe elbow. We have the Britetap waterer (goes on an Igloo cooler) and made the bucket feeder. For busy people, these are lifesavers! I check my chickens multiple times a day, but these little gadgets make it possible for us to leave town for a few days and just ask a neighbor's kids to collect eggs.

Your coop looks awesome! Other people who have more experience will be able to tell you how easy it is to have a garden with chickens that have access to it.. I was nervous about it, so we fenced off our raised beds this month. I do know that my chickens' favorite pastime, before the fence went up, was to dig in the garden dirt for bugs. I had winter spinach that came up from last summer (when I let a few plants go to seed) and the chickens ate it down to the ground before I got any. So just a heads up?

3. TerryH

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    Thanks for the reply!! They will not actually have access to the garden. They will have an 8x8x20 covered run right behind the garden. Definitely doing the 5 gallon water buckets with horizontal nipples. Planning on the PVC pipe feeders. We plan to be out there multiple times a day as well but the automatic door and waterers are insurance just in case. We drag race so we are gone at least portions of some weekends and I wanted to make sure that the chickens are happy with or without us. [​IMG]

4. beautifulpirate

beautifulpirate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Speaking of feeders, have you seen the Peckomatic? That's what we'll be putting in the run.

Yay for baby chicks! And yay for Welsummers! I have two Wellie babies. I believe one cockerel and one pullet but time will tell. And I adore them loads.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  6. beautifulpirate

beautifulpirate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
  7. TerryH

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    In order to get the breeds that we want we are going to have to get 6 chicks that are 1-2 weeks old tomorrow and 6 that are 2 days old on Tuesday. Is that going to be an issue? Suggestions on integrating them?

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

9. TerryH

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    Well after reading that I've decided not to get chickens and just burn down what I've already built and call it good. [​IMG]

Ok seriously, thanks aart for all your help and suggestions. You sharing your experiences and advice has been wonderful. See what do you think about this.

Idea#1: I have a large plastic tub. Not large enough for the 6 we're getting today to be in for very long but will be ok for a few days. We could start these week olds in there and then put both groups together in the big box on Tuesday. That way they will all be new place again.

Idea #2: I could build a wire divider and expand the big box to 3x6 so both groups would have a 3x3 to start with and then integrate them after whatever period of time seems right. This is not my favorite. I really don't want to buy another heating pad for a 2nd MHP and 2nd waterer and feeder but I will if it's necessary.

Note to self: The budget for this whole deal pretty much went out the proverbial window about 2 days after it started.

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by