Cheryl's Hen House...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TerryH, Mar 17, 2016.

1. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    Thanks for the reply!! Ahhh yes, the clump of sod. Sounds like fun for them. I will definitely do that.

The brooder is actually 2 boxes cut and slid together. All I have to do is untape and slide them apart to make it 3x6 or even 3x8 if necessary.

2. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

Brilliant!!! I didn't realize... now...the playpen...suggest shiny things, bell, bits of ribbon...they played with that from about day two, played keep away...highly entertaining....they loved clump of sod/grass also...3x8 will be necessary IMHO...you are going to have SO much fun with this!!

After they are all settled please CONSIDER microgreens, fermented food and sprouted seeds....I did this quite early...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1087887/aint-nobody-here-but-us-chickens

for a few of my learnings...you may want to whitewash...ask me anything!

3. TerryH

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    Awesome! Thanks so much!!

4. beautifulpirate

beautifulpirate Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016

Yes, they love the sod! You're getting12 chicks right? 3*8 should definitely be more than enough to get them through your finishing the coop. I have six chicks and they have about ten square feet at 4 weeks old. Gonna get them moved into the coop by 5 weeks as to avoid space issues. But you'll be fine. Can't wait to see pics of your chicks!!!

5. TerryH

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop
    Yes, 12 babies tomorrow. [​IMG] Pics will follow as soon as we have them.

6. mobius

So eggciting! [​IMG]BTW REALLY smart idea to cover your furniture with dustcloths! Lol...

7. TerryH

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop

Thanks!! Yes, we're pretty excited. Added excitement because it is Cheryl's birthday. [​IMG]

8. mobius

Just butting in here, Terry...but I was thinking about Cheryl's coop and that you were going to prime the inside OSB[​IMG]

This was mostly plywood...much smaller than yours...two coats...

....my suggestion is that you consider whitewashing it instead...weird I know but protects from mites and lice and doesn't look bad...to me, now looks like a REAL coop, lol, really old-fashioned, and I am SOLD on it myself...if you are interested, ask me about it....it should work over primer but I am not sure...

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  9. Finnie

Finnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Terry, tell Cheryl Happy Birthday! [​IMG]

Mobius, I want to know about the whitewash! That's what I'm planning to use in my coop. I think you mix it up somehow, but I need a recipe.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  10. mobius

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by