Cheryl's Hen House...

Pics
You are definitely going to need a larger brooder in about four days, IMHO and in my experience. Especially with the number of chicks. I only had six and I had to enlarge my brooder three times until they were four weeks old, started with a rubbermaid tub and that was history after one week. You could add another box with some tape or cut holes for chicks to go back and forth...a LARGE hole...and I saw that you will be using puppy pads, great! Don't forget a clump of sod/grass from outside.

Thanks for the reply!! Ahhh yes, the clump of sod. Sounds like fun for them. I will definitely do that.

The brooder is actually 2 boxes cut and slid together. All I have to do is untape and slide them apart to make it 3x6 or even 3x8 if necessary.

Thanks for the reply!! Ahhh yes, the clump of sod. Sounds like fun for them. I will definitely do that.

The brooder is actually 2 boxes cut and slid together. All I have to do is untape and slide them apart to make it 3x6 or even 3x8 if necessary.

Brilliant!!! I didn't realize... now...the playpen...suggest shiny things, bell, bits of ribbon...they played with that from about day two, played keep away...highly entertaining....they loved clump of sod/grass also...3x8 will be necessary IMHO...you are going to have SO much fun with this!!

After they are all settled please CONSIDER microgreens, fermented food and sprouted seeds....I did this quite early...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1087887/aint-nobody-here-but-us-chickens

for a few of my learnings...you may want to whitewash...ask me anything!

Brilliant!!! I didn't realize... now...the playpen...suggest shiny things, bell, bits of ribbon...they played with that from about day two, played keep away...highly entertaining....they loved clump of sod/grass also...3x8 will be necessary IMHO...you are going to have SO much fun with this!!

After they are all settled please CONSIDER microgreens, fermented food and sprouted seeds....I did this quite early...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1087887/aint-nobody-here-but-us-chickens

for a few of my learnings...you may want to whitewash...ask me anything!

Awesome! Thanks so much!!

Thanks for the reply!! Ahhh yes, the clump of sod. Sounds like fun for them. I will definitely do that. 

The brooder is actually 2 boxes cut and slid together. All I have to do is untape and slide them apart to make it 3x6 or even 3x8 if necessary.  

Yes, they love the sod! You're getting12 chicks right? 3*8 should definitely be more than enough to get them through your finishing the coop. I have six chicks and they have about ten square feet at 4 weeks old. Gonna get them moved into the coop by 5 weeks as to avoid space issues. But you'll be fine. Can't wait to see pics of your chicks!!!

Yes, 12 babies tomorrow.
big_smile.png
Pics will follow as soon as we have them.

Just butting in here, Terry...but I was thinking about Cheryl's coop and that you were going to prime the inside OSB

This was mostly plywood...much smaller than yours...two coats...

....my suggestion is that you consider whitewashing it instead...weird I know but protects from mites and lice and doesn't look bad...to me, now looks like a REAL coop, lol, really old-fashioned, and I am SOLD on it myself...if you are interested, ask me about it....it should work over primer but I am not sure...

Last edited:
Terry, tell Cheryl Happy Birthday!
frow.gif

Mobius, I want to know about the whitewash! That's what I'm planning to use in my coop. I think you mix it up somehow, but I need a recipe.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom