Chevron the kitten is sick...

I would suggest that if your parents won’t allow cats to be cared for properly, you shouldn’t have them. Sorry about little Chevron.
It sounds like Chevron was a barn cat. Some farmers don't treat barn cats and just expect losses. The cats have a job to do and are simply expected to do it.

We have 6 barn cats - a calico and her 5 sons. They have all had their shots, and Momma cat has been spayed. But after shelling out $1200 total for all 6 to get shots and vet checks, we just do not have the funds for fixing all the little boys.

BTW, I am sorry for the loss of Chevron. He was a cute cat.

So are you going to let the boys spray urine all over, fight and get abscesses and impregnate any female cats in the area that have been dumped or have careless owners? Sorry, I am a feline veterinarian and to see people who have animals and plan on continuing to add to our horrible pet overpopulation problem aggravates me a lot.

Sorry to get your hackles up. but, I figured you would come at with both barrels, LOL. The reality is that we can't afford to take them to the local vet and have him charge us $275 per cat. The local vet used to be fairly reasonable, but now that he accepts "Pet Insurance", we can barely afford to have him give vaccinations.

We are very rural and there is not a cat problem near us - except for the occasional cat that is dumped by the roadside by city folks. And the only other cat owner within a 2 mile radius is across the street from us. And those "poor dumped strays" are usually caught by our neighbor who loves cats and has built a huge "cat house" for the strays he catches (4 at the moment). He tames them down as much as possible and feeds them. Gets them fixed when he can find a clinic to do it cheap.

These boys do not fight, I was worried about that, but so far so good - in fact, they all sleep together in the cat box that we built for them. They are a very formidable "pack" and reducing our rabbit population at the moment.

We have been searching for affordable neutering options - the neighbor is searching also. However, the state Humane Society only has one event per year for $50 neutering, it is held 6 hours away from us, and you can't make an appointment. It is first come, first served and if they are full up - too bad, so sad. In reality, I would have to crate them the night before, get up at 2 am to drive down there, and once I get there, probably be turned away because they are full up from the ferals that are being trapped in the city. I called and asked about their program and was told to not bother coming down.

It sounds like Chevron was a barn cat. Some farmers don't treat barn cats and just expect losses. The cats have a job to do and are simply expected to do it.

We have 6 barn cats - a calico and her 5 sons. They have all had their shots, and Momma cat has been spayed. But after shelling out $1200 total for all 6 to get shots and vet checks, we just do not have the funds for fixing all the little boys.

BTW, I am sorry for the loss of Chevron. He was a cute cat.
Just a comment. You can get shots for puppies and kittens at the feed store. If you give them yourself, you can save a pile of money. You can't get rabies vaccine but you can get everything else.

Back
Top Bottom