1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chia or Flax Sprouts for chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OurBackyardFarm, Mar 10, 2016.

1. OurBackyardFarm

OurBackyardFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    We moved our chickies into their new brooder with the MHP and they LOVE it!! (And they slept last night! lol) Pics below!

They are a week + 1 day old and we have been reading a lot about sprouting grains for them. More as a treat than a meal replacement. I have organic chia and organic flax seed on hand. I thought about giving it a try just to make sure we have a system in place for when we would like to give it to them, I'm just curious if it is okay for our baby girls to have it or if I should give our experiment to the neighbor for her older flock (if it even works out, lol)?

Thank you in advance!
    [​IMG]
    *the black cord was only in there to check the temp, under my supervision, they loved pecking at it. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. azygous

azygous Overrun With Chickens

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Sure! By the time the seeds sprout, the chicks should be ready to tackle them. Don't be surprised they ignore them at first. It sometimes takes a little time for chicks to discover that something they've never seen before is good to eat.

Also, to be safe, pick up some chick grit for them.

3. OurBackyardFarm

OurBackyardFarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2016
    Pennsylvania

Awesome!!! I'll get it going today!! I did pick up some chick grit last week after doing research because I wanted to have it on hand just in case we needed it. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by