Chicago

Hello Chicken enthusiasts,

My name is Ben Gojer and I am an independent film producer. I am looking for a few chickens to appear/star in a short film I am producing. I am new to the world of chickens, but I think they are cute and I love eating eggs!

The film is called Chicken Tuesdays and is about a guy trying to impress a girl at a bar night centered around competitive chicken photography. It is being written and directed by my friend Brandon Daley. Brandon and our Director of Photography, Drew Angle, just went to the Slamdance Film Festival for the premiere of our last short film, Savasana. Slamdance happens at the same time and in the same city as the Sundance Film Festival and is known for screening raw and innovative films.

"WILL takes his friend EMILY to watch him compete at Chicken Tuesdays, where he is a crowd favorite. He should be able to make a great showing with his Easter-themed set, but disaster strikes when his prize chicken PEGGY does not want to cooperate."

We are looking to shoot the first weekend of April. Were your chickens to appear in our film, we would want you to be on set to wrangle them. We would hope to put one or two of the chickens in some kind of costume, and then put them on a stage and have their picture taken. If you could be down for this, I would love to talk to you more about the project, or send you the script. Savasana was received really well and I am excited for Chicken Tuesdays.

Thank you very much,

BenG
(817) 994-9304

Hey, all!

Just joined, and I'm doing my research. I'm in chicago and will be getting a coop and chickens for my backyard!

I see all the coops online, and I'm intimidated. It took me 6 hours to install a garbage disposal, I image it would be impossible for me to build one.

Anyone in Chicago have a rooster with a NoCrow collar? Anyone sell them locally?

JS

Hey, all!

Just joined, and I'm doing my research. I'm in chicago and will be getting a coop and chickens for my backyard!

I see all the coops online, and I'm intimidated. It took me 6 hours to install a garbage disposal, I image it would be impossible for me to build one.

Anyone in Chicago have a rooster with a NoCrow collar? Anyone sell them locally?

JS
Hi,

I am in Chicago and can try to find my rooster's no-crow collar for you. I won't need it anymore because I re-homed 2 of them already and the last one is leaving this weekend or the next. I had stopped using the collar last year because one of my roosters used to throw a tamper tantrum.

I believe no one locally sells the no-crow collar but I know people just make them out of velcro.

I built my own coop with the help of a friend so certainly can provide guidance and tools if you are close-by.

Btw, there are more Chicago folks on the Illinois thread so you should join that too. What part of the city are you in?

Hi,

I am in Chicago and can try to find my rooster's no-crow collar for you. I won't need it anymore because I re-homed 2 of them already and the last one is leaving this weekend or the next. I had stopped using the collar last year because one of my roosters used to throw a tamper tantrum.

I believe no one locally sells the no-crow collar but I know people just make them out of velcro. 

I built my own coop with the help of a friend so certainly can provide guidance and tools if you are close-by.

Btw, there are more Chicago folks on the Illinois thread so you should join that too. What part of the city are you in?

Oops forgot to answer this. I'm in Rogers park near Chase & Wolcott.

JS

Oops forgot to answer this. I'm in Rogers park near Chase & Wolcott.

JS
Well there are couple of chicken owners couple of blocks from you. If you don't know them, I can connect you. One is actually having problems with the neighbors reference her roosters. So it might be very helpful getting her feedback.

Hey js, simply made a no crow collar with velcro. Make sure it's put high enough on his neck for it to work. He will throw a tantrum at first but he will get used to it. Just do not put it too tight. Buying some double sided velcro will run you less than 10 bucks, an actual no crow collar is around 20 but made exactly the same way. I also live in chicago which is why I use the collar since homes are so close. Luckily all my neighbors love the chickens and don't mind his crowing much.

@JS69135 and @dramir6
There is also a local google group called Chicago Chicken Enthusiasts that not only is a chat, help and advice forum but also arranges an annual Chicago Chicken Coop Tour in September. Here is a link that talks about the tour and ways to join:

https://sites.google.com/site/chicagochickenenthusi/

As for the roosters, I just gave my beautiful mauve orpington rooster because of a nuisance neighbor. I miss "Saleem" so much. Currently hatching his chicks in my incubator so that his genes carry on. Here are couple of his pictures.

Another senior member is currently fighting the alderman and her neighbors in Rogers Park to keep her roosters. See lost her first hearing last Monday but is filing an appeal in the circuit court. Although only one of my 30 neighbors complained, but she was calling the cops 18 times in a month.

Beautiful rooster! My neighbor has 6 labs (dogs) - wondering how that will affect my chickens when I move in (July 16th I take ownership of the property). I will then have to build a coop, and then order chicks in the spring.

My condo is less than a block away from the alderman she is fighting with - not surprised, but whole heartedly disappointed that he would fight that. I do understand - the nuisance law is a pretty broad law! Too bad the neighbor can't be reported as a nuisance.

Yes, I do follow the chicken enthusiast group, although I couldn't figure out if it was still active - not sure if everything is up to date I had to dig for information there.

Thanks,

JS.

Beautiful rooster! My neighbor has 6 labs (dogs) - wondering how that will affect my chickens when I move in (July 16th I take ownership of the property). I will then have to build a coop, and then order chicks in the spring.

My condo is less than a block away from the alderman she is fighting with - not surprised, but whole heartedly disappointed that he would fight that. I do understand - the nuisance law is a pretty broad law! Too bad the neighbor can't be reported as a nuisance.

Yes, I do follow the chicken enthusiast group, although I couldn't figure out if it was still active - not sure if everything is up to date I had to dig for information there.

Thanks,

JS.
I bet that dog owner doesn't have a license for those but no one cares but god forbid if a rooster crows :(

Back
Top Bottom