Chicalina's 2021 rainbow bantam mixed flock hatching thread

What breed is this mama (black) again?
She is a silkie polish mix. She has turned out to be a poor mother, I'm afraid. Maybe because she is only 10 months old. She has almost fully weaned the chicks at 4/5 weeks old, has started mating and laying again already. She leaves them alone all day to fend for themselves now, and just roosts with them at night. They are still very defenceless, but they can run fast!

Attachments

• 20210624_180231.jpg
    20210624_180231.jpg
    899.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210624_180224.jpg
    20210624_180224.jpg
    754.2 KB · Views: 5
She is a silkie polish mix. She has turned out to be a poor mother, I'm afraid. Maybe because she is only 10 months old. She has almost fully weaned the chicks at 4/5 weeks old, has started mating and laying again already. She leaves them alone all day to fend for themselves now, and just roosts with them at night. They are still very defenceless, but they can run fast!
The chicks are adorable!! Hmm.. how are polish normally as far as raising chicks? I still have polish on my mind.. have to go to the feed store shortly and hoping they won't have any, because i have no resistance! 😆

Polish are not known for being broody at all really. But there are always exceptions. My cuckoo Polish is a great mother, this black mix hasn't done very well with her first brood, and my other frizzle polish never goes broody at all!

They are great chickens though. So quirky in character, great layers and don't take up much space. Plus super pretty 😍

What type of chick is it with the black back but yellow poof ball on it's head?
She was sold to me as a white crested black polish, but is actually turning out to be a white crested cuckoo frizzle polish. Here she is with her brood mama. She will grow up to look like her, except black instead of chocolate and frizzled instead of smooth.

20210711_174553.jpg

The bantam babies are all growing so fast and doing really well.

My first hatch now 10 weeks old of 3 OEGB, 3 serama and 1 sebright are now roosting and boys are crowing. Got 4 boys, 3 girls.

My second hatch now 8 weeks old of 2 barnevelders, 1 welsummer are also roosting. Barnevelders still undetermined as to sex, but the breeder told me the girls hatch out dark, and I had one dark and one blonde, so it is likely I've got one of each, although their combs and wattles are identical. The welsummer is an easy one to sex, and is a girl.

Third lot is now 4 weeks old, and is 4 different coloured polish and 1 paint polish/silkie cross. No guesses on sex yet, though I suspect I have 2 boys in this lot.

I'm well on the way to a rainbow flock!

20210707_194230.jpg
20210718_190126.jpg
20210718_192020.jpg

Back
Top Bottom