Chick acting funny

If they hatched on Easter, then they are almost five weeks old. They should be transitioning off of supplemental heat. I get they are outside maybe, but if it's "been warm" (I don't know what your actual climate may be), and they are covered in plastic, I agree, most likely you are cooking your chickens.

They may fluff up for various reasons. One could be illness, but another straightforward one is they are HOT and trying to fluff out some air space between their feathers to cool off. And if they have no cool area to retreat to, and cannot escape the heat to self-regulate, they will perish.

Many more chickens die from being too hot, than too cold. Please remember that.

If they hatched on Easter, then they are almost five weeks old. They should be transitioning off of supplemental heat. I get they are outside maybe, but if it's "been warm" (I don't know what your actual climate may be), and they are covered in plastic, I agree, most likely you are cooking your chickens.

They may fluff up for various reasons. One could be illness, but another straightforward one is they are HOT and trying to fluff out some air space between their feathers to cool off. And if they have no cool area to retreat to, and cannot escape the heat to self-regulate, they will perish.

Many more chickens die from being too hot, than too cold. Please remember that.
maine climate ;)
ok. I'll take out the heat

4. Stop feeding the earth worms. It's not common but I've heard stories of them carrying disease and causing problems in chickens if fed frequently/intentionally. Stick with just the chick starter and occasional snacks. It's really important especially in early ages that they get a really balanced diet and that is what chick starter is designed to do.
Yes, this is true. I wouldn't intentionally be giving the chicks anything other than their crumble. They will have plenty of life to spoil them with goodies once they have the gut for it.

With that said, you should also start transitioning off medicated feed. With them being 3 weeks with plenty of outside exposure, then the certainly have developed the bacteria needed to fight cocci. I don't think this has any bearing on what is happening with the chicks health.

It is recommended that you transition them off over the course of 10 days. Removing it cold turkey at this point almost guaranteed a cocci outbreak.

With that, I'd recommend starting with some sugar water and scrambled egg. Feel her crop, make sure it isn't overly hard or too squishy when full. And lastly, I know it is small, but check her throat and make sure nothing is stuck in there.

Yes, this is true. I wouldn't intentionally be giving the chicks anything other than their crumble. They will have plenty of life to spoil them with goodies once they have the gut for it.

With that said, you should also start transitioning off medicated feed. With them being 3 weeks with plenty of outside exposure, then the certainly have developed the bacteria needed to fight cocci. I don't think this has any bearing on what is happening with the chicks health.

It is recommended that you transition them off over the course of 10 days. Removing it cold turkey at this point almost guaranteed a cocci outbreak.

With that, I'd recommend starting with some sugar water and scrambled egg. Feel her crop, make sure it isn't overly hard or too squishy when full. And lastly, I know it is small, but check her throat and make sure nothing is stuck in there.
Okay

Back
Top Bottom