Chick acting funny

My chick is acting weird. It’s always gasping like it’s choking, but it can peep. Been doing this for about two and a half weeks. This morning she was in the feed dish and couldn’t get herself out. She was also kind of fluffed up.
Hmmmm interesting, and the last line is very concerning.

How old is she?

What are you feeding?

Have you administered anything at all yet? Vitamins, enhanced water, etc?

Have you checked make sure she doesn't have anything in her throat?

How old is she?

What are you feeding?

How old is she?

What are you feeding?

She hatched on Easter.
We are feeding medicated chick feed, and dandelions and earth worms occasionally.
No
No

If it were me I would...

1. Ensure they have somewhere to get away from the heat. The entire brooder should never be heated so they can get somewhere to regulate their body temp.
2. Make sure they have chick-sized grit. If they're eating dandelion (or possibly ingesting bedding) they need grit to process that or they'll get impacted.
3. Check for pasty butt. Always in any chick acting funny.
4. Stop feeding the earth worms. It's not common but I've heard stories of them carrying disease and causing problems in chickens if fed frequently/intentionally. Stick with just the chick starter and occasional snacks. It's really important especially in early ages that they get a really balanced diet and that is what chick starter is designed to do. In the wild, mommas would be showing them a variety of things to munch on to keep the diet varied but we humans don't have that innate sense and therefore need to take caution.
5. If anything, supplement with mashed and cooked egg yolk. Many people tout it as a miracle cure to chicks not doing well.

Back
Top Bottom