Post Egg Bound

Is it safe for chickens to get another dosage after the vet recommended amount?
Did the vet take a sample to determine the kind of bacteria prior to the prescription?

If so, ask for another to see if the infection is gone.

If not, the vet might change/prolong the antibiotics and duration of treatment according to the results.

Did the vet take a sample to determine the kind of bacteria prior to the prescription?

If so, ask for another to see if the infection is gone.

If not, the vet might change/prolong the antibiotics and duration of treatment according to the results
No, because I went to the vet ER when she was found very ill, since the chicken vet I go to was closed. The ER didn’t really know what to do and told me her prognosis was very bad. They gave her injections, gave me antibiotics, and I left.

I could go to the chicken vet and tell them what antibiotics I got?

Ok thank you. I’ll ask if I could get more antibiotics.

Also, after she did this poop, she had another composed of mostly clear ish brown mucus. It looked yellow to me but on close examination it was brown.
Every ~10th poop will be cecal which is more liquidy and smelly.

Every ~10th poop will be cecal which is more liquidy and smelly.
I thought that too but I remembered that health cecal poop looks like this, (FIRST PIC) but my hen’s was very strewn out and weird. In all of her poops she had been expelling a weird clearish or whitish mucus. This is an example of her poop in her prime sickness, a huge blob of mucus.

From then on the mucus has mellowed down but she still has traces of it in her poops. It’s mostly clear or brownish now.

At one point she expelled what looked like blood in the mucus. This stopped after she began to feel better.

Then her poop looked normal for a bit. And then changed back to weird.

Attachments

• IMG_5557.png
    IMG_5557.png
    83.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5432.jpeg
    IMG_5432.jpeg
    472.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5440.jpeg
    IMG_5440.jpeg
    492 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5453.jpeg
    IMG_5453.jpeg
    453.8 KB · Views: 1
Ok thank you. I’ll ask if I could get more antibiotics.

Also, after she did this poop, she had another composed of mostly clear ish brown mucus. It looked yellow to me but on close examination it was brown.
When was her last dose of antibiotics?

It’s been about 5 days after the shellless egg burst inside her, and for 2 days she was super energetic, perfectly fine. Her antibiotic round is over.

Today I went out, and noticed she was acting a little off. She still drank and ate but she was moving slower, was a little puffed up, and didn’t make noises. She hasn’t laid an egg since the incident.

I also noticed that when she was in her prime moment of illness 5 days ago she would do this weird thing with her beak. She wasn’t gasping for air, just opening it and closing it, almost like she was adjusting it. She wasn’t stretching her neck and she wasn’t adjusting her crop. She would do this many times. She did it again today.

I popped in calcium citrate like I have been every day. Is this behavior because she is developing an egg? I’ll keep a good eye on her, I don’t want this to happen again.
Update: tonight in the roost she laid an egg. It was smaller than normal but not too small. It was much lighter color than her normal blue eggs, and felt rough like light sandpaper, but still had a shell. It took it inside and it broke in my hand. The inside looked fine.

Do post sick hens lay thin eggs?

I’m giving her calcium citrate again.

Back
Top Bottom