Post Egg Bound

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
It’s been about 5 days after the shellless egg burst inside her, and for 2 days she was super energetic, perfectly fine. Her antibiotic round is over.

Today I went out, and noticed she was acting a little off. She still drank and ate but she was moving slower, was a little puffed up, and didn’t make noises. She hasn’t laid an egg since the incident.

I also noticed that when she was in her prime moment of illness 5 days ago she would do this weird thing with her beak. She wasn’t gasping for air, just opening it and closing it, almost like she was adjusting it. She wasn’t stretching her neck and she wasn’t adjusting her crop. She would do this many times. She did it again today.

I popped in calcium citrate like I have been every day. Is this behavior because she is developing an egg? Ill keep a good eye on her, I don’t want this to happen again.

It’s been about 5 days after the shellless egg burst inside her, and for 2 days she was super energetic, perfectly fine. Her antibiotic round is over.

Today I went out, and noticed she was acting a little off. She still drank and ate but she was moving slower, was a little puffed up, and didn’t make noises. She hasn’t laid an egg since the incident.

I also noticed that when she was in her prime moment of illness 5 days ago she would do this weird thing with her beak. She wasn’t gasping for air, just opening it and closing it, almost like she was adjusting it. She wasn’t stretching her neck and she wasn’t adjusting her crop. She would do this many times. She did it again today.

I popped in calcium citrate like I have been every day. Is this behavior because she is developing an egg? Ill keep a good eye on her, I don’t want this to happen again.
This was her poop today. It wasn’t like this yesterday.
IMG_5536.jpeg

I popped in calcium citrate like I have been every day. Is this behavior because she is developing an egg? I’ll keep a good eye on her, I don’t want this to happen again.
l

Bumping this post because I feel like each day that goes by is a risk

How old is your hen and what breed is she?

What exactly are you feeding her and where is she kept?
She’s 3 years old and an easter egger.

She’s being fed madesto mills layer feed with the occasional mealworms, seeds, or vegetables once or twice a week

Is this behavior because she is developing an egg?
She might have a hard time passing a new egg after the infection as sometimes scar tissue or adhesions similar can cause obstructions.

What kind of antibiotic did you use and for how many consecutive days?

How much protein does the chicken feed contain?
Do you provide crushed oyster shells free choice?

She might have a hard time passing a new egg after the infection as sometimes scar tissue or adhesions similar can cause obstructions.

What kind of antibiotic did you use and for how many consecutive days?

How much protein does the chicken feed contain?
Do you provide crushed oyster shells free choice?
I used Amoxicillin and Clavulante Potassium tablets. It was 1 pill every 12 hours. I gave it for 5 days, so it would be 10 pills in total, however I accidentally ruined one while trying to give it to her for the first time, so she skipped one afternoon.
I’ll check how much protein the feed contains. Is it bad or good that she’s getting protein from it?
Yes I provide oyster shells near their feed but I noticed only one of my hens really eats them. I see her picking at them occasionally.

Is it bad or good that she’s getting protein from it?
A good feed will provide ~18% protein and a chicken recovering ng from illness can be given some extras like scrambled egg with rolled fine oats and millet and some poultry vitamins in the water to help regain strength.

I would treat with antibiotics for at least 10 days for oviduct infections.

A good feed will provide ~18% protein and a chicken recovering ng from illness can be given some extras like scrambled egg with rolled fine oats and millet and some poultry vitamins in the water to help regain strength.

Is it safe for chickens to get another dosage after the vet recommended amount?

Also, her poop changes from solid poop to yellowish brown liquid, then to solid poop with some clearish mucus. Other than that she seems ok, eating and drinking

Back
Top Bottom