Chick acts "drunk" can't figure out what's wrong??

Neurological parasite?
th.gif

He's not dead.
He's still alive.
Poor Fireball
sad.png
Well, i don't know if it's even possible, just something crazy I thought of, or a parasite that affects their brains, hence the odd dizzy movement. I hope he get's better, You could try putting a splash of vinegar in his water.

I searched Neurological parasite in chickens it brought up this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis Possibly my Cat could have pooped in the chicken coop
idunno.gif

hmm.png
I don't know whats going on???
Wow, I hadn't thought of Toxoplasmosis!! I can not believe I never thought of that!! That's a mahor possibility!

So I read to put a tablespoon per gallon, but if they are really sick I put a tablespoon in one of those little pint waterer's,

Wow, I hadn't thought of Toxoplasmosis!! I can not believe I never thought of that!! That's a mahor possibility!

So I read to put a tablespoon per gallon, but if they are really sick I put a tablespoon in one of those little pint waterer's,
Thanks! Fireball started drinking by himself I don't know if that's a good thing..I have not tried the ACV just yet.
hmm.png

But I'm hoping he gets better soon! Good luck with your chickens as well!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks! Fireball started drinking by himself I don't know if that's a good thing..I have not tried the ACV just yet.
hmm.png

But I'm hoping he gets better soon! Good luck with your chickens as well!
thumbsup.gif
Yeah that is a good thing! Good I hope he get's one hundred percent better!

I just read the whole thread. I don't remember anyone suggesting that it might be cocci [except for OP on Post #1]. She also treated with Sulmet which only treats 2 of the 9 known cocci strains. If you're rooster has signs of lethargy, listlessness, loss of appetite, does not want to drink water, and MAYBE blood in stool, then it probably is Coccidiosis. I would treat ASAP. I would also use CORID instead of Sulmet. Corid treats all 9 strains of Coccidiosis in chickens.

Watch this video. Does your chick, hen, rooster act 'drunk' like the chick at the end? Then it's probably cocci.

Also, to my understanding, when cocci invades the ceca or intestinal lining, it inhibits the chick/chicken to absorb nutrients. If that's true, a chicken with Coccidiosis will have a vitamin E deficiency along with all other vitamin deficiencies. While people have had success with giving vitamin E and selenium, both are high power antioxidants and are known to boost energy. In my mind, it makes sense that giving high doses of antioxidants may temporarily 'cure' your bird by giving them the energy to stabilize themselves. In the end, the root problem was not addressed [whatever it may be, but most likely cocci] and chickens relapse when it stops getting either supplement. For those chickens that do pull through, they may have naturally fought off the cocci invasion and were fine [and now immune]. I'm a new chicken owner, so take everything with a grain a salt. All I know is that my 6 day old chick had this 'drunken' posture and Corid fixed her right up.

Also, it doesn't makes sense to me that chickens eating proper feed would have any sort of vitamin deficiencies [unless its an internal/external factor]. I would imagine feed companies spend thousands, if not millions of dollars in researching proper nutrition in their feed.

Last edited:
I just read the whole thread. I'm don't remember anyone suggesting that it might be cocci [except for OP on Post #1]. She also treated with Sulmet which only treats 2 of the 9 known cocci strains. If you're rooster has signs of lethargy, listlessness, loss of appetite, does not want to drink water, and MAYBE blood in stool, then it probably is Coccidiosis. I would treat ASAP. I would also use CORID instead of Sulmet. Corid treats all 9 strains of Coccidiosis in chickens.

Watch this video. Does your chick, hen, rooster act 'drunk' like the chick at the end? Then it's probably cocci.

Also, to my understanding, when cocci invades the ceca or intestinal lining, it inhibits the chick/chicken to absorb nutrients. If that's true, a chicken with Coccidiosis will have a vitamin E deficiency along with all other vitamin deficiencies. While people have had success with giving vitamin E and selenium, both are high power antioxidants and are known to boost energy. In my mind, it makes sense that giving high doses of antioxidants may temporarily 'cure' your bird by giving them the energy to stabilize themselves. In the end, the root problem was not addressed [whatever it may be, but most likely cocci] and chickens relapse when it stops getting either supplement. For those chickens that do pull through, they may have naturally fought off the cocci invasion and were fine [and now immune]. I'm a new chicken owner, so take everything with a grain a salt. All I know is that my 6 day old chick had this 'drunken' posture and Corid fixed her right up.

Also, it doesn't makes sense to me that chickens eating proper feed would have any sort of vitamin deficiencies [unless its an internal/external factor]. I would imagine feed companies spend thousands, if not millions of dollars in researching proper nutrition in their feed.
Agree!

I just read the whole thread. I don't remember anyone suggesting that it might be cocci [except for OP on Post #1]. She also treated with Sulmet which only treats 2 of the 9 known cocci strains. If you're rooster has signs of lethargy, listlessness, loss of appetite, does not want to drink water, and MAYBE blood in stool, then it probably is Coccidiosis. I would treat ASAP. I would also use CORID instead of Sulmet. Corid treats all 9 strains of Coccidiosis in chickens.

My Rooster is doing the same thing. Although He hasn't pooped blood yet.
goodpost.gif

But I don't think hes going to live much longer
hit.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom