Chick Adoption on Hen with Older Chicks

nubbs180

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2016
Here goes an, insofar as I can tell, one of a kind story for the forums.

I let a hen go broody earlier this summer, and it took a week or so for me to get around to separating her from the rest of the gals, so she hatched out two eggs, and got up to take care of the chicks, and we incubated the remainder. One additional chick hatched a week later. 2-3 nights after hatching, we slipped the new nugget into a dark coop with Mama Hen and the two other nuggets who were a week older. Everything went well, the three get on great, Mama's done a fabulous job raising them.

Now, another hen went broody, hatched out 6 eggs, and found one dead in the nest one morning, and being eaten by the Mama2. We cleared the 5 living into a brooder, and removed the dead chick. Mama2 has reintegrated into the flock, roosting at night, etc.

I'm wondering now, how possible it would be to give Mama1 the 5 new nuggets? Any tips for integrating families of hens and chicks here? Lots on just getting a hen to adopt, lots on integrating different ages in a brooder; I'm not sure how to manage the two at once.

Additional information:

The older chicks started hatching June 20

The younger chicks hatched August 23

Older chicks are no longer nesting under Mama1 at night, but next to her, and are largely independent during the day, although she still stays somewhat nearby and aware of them.

Thanks for all input.

Here goes an, insofar as I can tell, one of a kind story for the forums.

I let a hen go broody earlier this summer, and it took a week or so for me to get around to separating her from the rest of the gals, so she hatched out two eggs, and got up to take care of the chicks, and we incubated the remainder. One additional chick hatched a week later. 2-3 nights after hatching, we slipped the new nugget into a dark coop with Mama Hen and the two other nuggets who were a week older. Everything went well, the three get on great, Mama's done a fabulous job raising them.

Now, another hen went broody, hatched out 6 eggs, and found one dead in the nest one morning, and being eaten by the Mama2. We cleared the 5 living into a brooder, and removed the dead chick. Mama2 has reintegrated into the flock, roosting at night, etc.

I'm wondering now, how possible it would be to give Mama1 the 5 new nuggets? Any tips for integrating families of hens and chicks here? Lots on just getting a hen to adopt, lots on integrating different ages in a brooder; I'm not sure how to manage the two at once.

Additional information:

The older chicks started hatching June 20

The younger chicks hatched *July 27*

Older chicks are no longer nesting under Mama1 at night, but next to her, and are largely independent during the day, although she still stays somewhat nearby and aware of them.

Thanks for all input.

Back
Top Bottom