The mama hen…is a rooster?

This was taken back on March 27, 2023 of both my 5 year old golden comet hen, Waddles and buff Brahma rooster, Bram with 24 CC Broiler chicks (5 & 6 wks). The hen has leg problems and the rooster had a traumatic brain injury where they couldn't be with the rest of the flock so I gave them a job taking care of the broilers. They did great raising them together. Sadly the rooster died about 2 months later. Waddles and 1 broiler hen named B.K., who was spared are still together.

20230327_180945.jpg

Waddles and B.K. checking out some juvenile pullets in an adjacent pen (they all share a coop together now). 9/28/23

Attachments

• 20230928_125035.jpg
    20230928_125035.jpg
    570.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Older babies will appear like they're mothering the younger ones. They do not do everything a true mother does. That said, there have been cases of mature males caring for young. Not completely unheard of. It's a really nice quality to have, IMO
Mine have done it. Fooled me
But it's adorable and roosters all mature different. Like people some like kids, some don't.

Yes, we’ll keep him for sure. But if he ever gets overly aggressive, we’ll probably let him go in our forest or give him away.
If he becomes aggressive, put him down. don't give him away to someone else to deal with and absolutely do not just set him loose somewhere to starve or meet a painful death by a predator. Even aggressive males deserve a quick and humane death

Back
Top Bottom