Will broody hen with 4 day old chicks adopt 2 more?

Leah526

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2023
Hello! Hoping someone can help me since I have an issue on hand.

Today I had a broody hatch two eggs. The first egg she started pecking at the chick in the egg aggressively, and then as soon as the chick hatched, she grabbed it by the leg and threw it. Needless to say, I removed both chicks and now have them in the brooder.

I have another broody that hatched out 4 healthy chicks 4 days ago. She is the best mama. I am wondering if she will adopt the two hatched today if I sneak them under her at night?

Has anyone had success doing this? Or will she potentially be confused and angry and maybe hurt the 4 chicks she is already caring for?

Thank you so much!

Thank you! She is an austrolorp. A great mother but not sure how welcoming she would be of the new strangers. I’m not sure whether to brood them myself and work on integrating later or try to integrate under the Broody in under 24 hours😳 hard decision.

I also have a sweet Australorp that is a great mom. A couple years ago, she accepted chicks that were ten days old, that I removed from another broody that had eviscerated one of the chicks. I gave the chicks to her at night, but didn't have much confidence she would accept the chicks when she saw them the next morn. But she did, and raised them along with her own chicks. Your Australorp won't be confused, angry or harm her own chicks just because 2 impostors show up. However, the odds she will accept the two new chicks are low, and she may even try to harm them. If you decide to give them to her tonight, get up before dawn tomorrow to observe how she reacts when she sees them for the first time.

My super sweet Serama, Slumber, hatched 2 chicks on the 7th and 8th. A few days later, she was so preoccupied with the new chicks, that she stopped sitting on the remaining egg (that one happened to be 6 days behind in incubation). Being prepared to remove the 3rd egg beforehand, I already had the incubator and brooder ready and waiting. I took it to the incubator and let it hatch there, waited a day, then introduced the 3rd chick. She immediately took to it, and now she’s the happy mommy of 3. In that situation, I gave it a try but was FULLY prepared for her to reject the chick and brood it myself (I’m one to not take any chances). After all, it was 6 days younger. If you choose to make the attempt, just be VERY observant and be ready to remove the chicks and brood yourself. Another suggestion…. have mother and chicks somewhere that you can closely watch and attempt new chick introductions. That way, you can quickly intervene if she rejects them. Good wishes! ❤️

I also have a sweet Australorp that is a great mom. A couple years ago, she accepted chicks that were ten days old, that I removed from another broody that had eviscerated one of the chicks. I gave the chicks to her at night, but didn't have much confidence she would accept the chicks when she saw them the next morn. But she did, and raised them along with her own chicks. Your Australorp won't be confused, angry or harm her own chicks just because 2 impostors show up. However, the odds she will accept the two new chicks are low, and she may even try to harm them. If you decide to give them to her tonight, get up before dawn tomorrow to observe how she reacts when she sees them for the first time.
Thank you!

My super sweet Serama, Slumber, hatched 2 chicks on the 7th and 8th. A few days later, she was so preoccupied with the new chicks, that she stopped sitting on the remaining egg (that one happened to be 6 days behind in incubation). Being prepared to remove the 3rd egg beforehand, I already had the incubator and brooder ready and waiting. I took it to the incubator and let it hatch there, waited a day, then introduced the 3rd chick. She immediately took to it, and now she’s the happy mommy of 3. In that situation, I gave it a try but was FULLY prepared for her to reject the chick and brood it myself (I’m one to not take any chances). After all, it was 6 days younger. If you choose to make the attempt, just be VERY observant and be ready to remove the chicks and brood yourself. Another suggestion…. have mother and chicks somewhere that you can closely watch and attempt new chick introductions. That way, you can quickly intervene if she rejects them. Good wishes! ❤️
Thank you! So did you do your 3rd chick introduction at night or did you do it during the day?

Thank you! So did you do your 3rd chick introduction at night or did you do it during the day?
You’re very welcome! I actually did my chick introductions early in the morning after I fed Slumber, and she had settled back onto the first 2 chicks. I placed the chick under her and observed. She just really took to it well. I’m proud of that micro mommy!

Back
Top Bottom