Chick almost 6 weeks old all of a sudden having trouble walking

Georgetownchick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 29, 2012
I currently have my chicks in their brooder in my garage. Their coop is almost done. I took them out tonight to run around the garage while I cleaned up their water dish and noticed that one had its legs almost out to the side. It has never had trouble walking before. Could it have gotten splayed legs this late? Should I wrap its legs together? Should I separate it from the others? I have six in that brooder. Thanks!

We hatched these eggs ourselves and have no other chickens. Can they get it even though they have not been exposed to other birds?

We hatched these eggs ourselves and have no other chickens. Can they get it even though they have not been exposed to other birds?
Unfortunately I am proof that they can. I am not saying your chicken has Marek's, but my first chickens came from a breeder that is all organic and has never had Mareks in her flock. She hatched out these chicks at home.

I had never had chickens, never had chickens on our land, the closest are 1/4 mile away. My birds got Mareks at aobut 6 months of age. It was confirmed by a lab. I will never know where it came from. I lost 7 or my original 9 to Mareks.

The typical stance with Mareks is one forward and one back...not out to the side; but mine never had any of the obvious leg problems, they just didn't walk at all

I currently have my chicks in their brooder in my garage. Their coop is almost done. I took them out tonight to run around the garage while I cleaned up their water dish and noticed that one had its legs almost out to the side. It has never had trouble walking before. Could it have gotten splayed legs this late? Should I wrap its legs together? Should I separate it from the others? I have six in that brooder. Thanks!

I wouldn't be too worried of it bein' Marek's Disease, as you've had no other symptoms ... as for gettin' it, or any of the many other diseases? Never doubt that you can, and most likely will, have some infection(s), as many are airborne, and carried in by wild birds, or on your shoes, or visitors that cuddle your chicks w/o scrubbin' up (before, and preferably, after ~'-)

I'm guessin' splayed:

If any of these pictures look familiar, then you're gonna wanna protect this one from the others (you can place a divider, so as to allow it access to heat/cool w/in the same brooder), and band it's legs back into the appropriate position (big flat rubber band, stapled/tied in the middle).

I brought it inside and put it in my other brooder. I have one disabled chick that is the same age but extremely small and has a very hard time walking. I had taken that one to the vet and she said it has a skeletal deformity. So, I put this chicken in with that one. It immediatly started eating the food in there and the small chicken huffed itself all up and was pecking at the larger chicken. The larger chicken could care less. It was funny because this is the most personality we have seen out of the small chicken. Anyway, it ate a bunch of food and I gave it water with vitamins added. I banded its legs back in position and it keeps pecking at the band. I thought maybe one leg was broken but can't really tell. It seems to be getting around a little better and can for sure get to the food ok.

One other thing, it does not appear to be in pain and when I put my finger in its toes it will curl its toes around my finger so I don't think either leg is paralyzed.

Back
Top Bottom