Chick almost 6 weeks old all of a sudden having trouble walking

I brought it inside and put it in my other brooder. I have one disabled chick that is the same age but extremely small and has a very hard time walking. I had taken that one to the vet and she said it has a skeletal deformity. So, I put this chicken in with that one. It immediatly started eating the food in there and the small chicken huffed itself all up and was pecking at the larger chicken. The larger chicken could care less. It was funny because this is the most personality we have seen out of the small chicken. Anyway, it ate a bunch of food and I gave it water with vitamins added. I banded its legs back in position and it keeps pecking at the band. I thought maybe one leg was broken but can't really tell. It seems to be getting around a little better and can for sure get to the food ok.

They don't sense pain as we do ... they're made very differently, as they were designed to be a source of food for just about anything/everything else. And, they form flocks due to what's been hard-wired w/in, and there's no joy for them in isolation ... chickens truly need other chickens. To better understand how they're made, and best prepare yourself for a lifetime of keepin' chickens (which is what those that keep chickens most often do) ...

http://www.gallusgallusdomesticus.com/anatomy/presentation/ introduces an interactive presentation on the anatomy of the chicken (chickenatomy ~'-)

You can, during times of any stress, dissolve a baby aspirin into a liter of water, and offer free choice to your chickens ... even if they're not sufferin' any pain? It often makes their owners feel better.

One other thing, it does not appear to be in pain and when I put my finger in its toes it will curl its toes around my finger so I don't think either leg is paralyzed.

Bingo -- testing for responiveness by lettin' them grab your finger, or tugging gently so as to cause 'em to pull back, is an excellent way to test. And, reasonable proof that you're most probably not dealin' w/ the dreaded Marek's Disease Virus (MDV).

Last edited:
We hatched these eggs ourselves and have no other chickens. Can they get it even though they have not been exposed to other birds?
That would be highly unlikely. Maybe you should try some vitamins, esp. B vitamins, and not use medicated food. I know alot of people who have had leg problems that was caused by lack of B vitamins

I have been giving my handicapped bird baby vitamins almost daily. Should I be adding that to the water of my other birds? If so, how much? I have another RIR chicken that tonight seems to have the same strange leg issue. It is walking and getting around but one leg seems to turn out to the side so maybe I am dealing with a lack of vitamin issue. Will the legs get better over time with good vitamins? Are the baby vitamins I am using sufficient enough in B vitamin?

That would be highly unlikely. Maybe you should try some vitamins, esp. B vitamins, and not use medicated food. I know alot of people who have had leg problems that was caused by lack of B vitamins

You've brought up an important question, in that Georgetownchick's chicks' diet might be an issue of concern, but ... it's not really a good idea to increase the vitamins w/in any diet w/o first knowing what levels are already provided.

The medicated feeds contain Amprolium, which blocks thiamine (vitamin B1) to which coccidia are fifty times more sensitive than the chick. However, in the initial stages of deficiency, lethargy and head tremors may be noted. A marked decrease in appetite is seen in birds fed a thiamine-deficient diet. Poultry are also susceptible to neuromuscular problems, resulting in impaired digestion, general weakness, star-gazing, and frequent convulsions.

A vitamin B6 deficiency causes retarded growth, dermatitis, and anemia.

Deficiency of vitamin B12 is highly unlikely, especially for birds grown on litter or where animal-based ingredients are used. In growing chickens, a deficiency of vitamin B12 results in reduced weight gain and feed intake, along with poor feathering and nervous disorders. While deficiency may lead to perosis (enlargement of the hock, twisted metatarsi, and slipped tendons), this is probably a secondary effect due to a dietary deficiency of methionine, choline, or betaine as sources of methyl groups.

There's an article w/in the Merck Vet Manual entitled Vitamin Deficiencies in Poultry which I'm sure you'd make really good use of, as you're always tryin' to help folks on BYC out, which is a really coOol thing to do ~'-)

I have been giving my handicapped bird baby vitamins almost daily. Should I be adding that to the water of my other birds? If so, how much? I have another RIR chicken that tonight seems to have the same strange leg issue. It is walking and getting around but one leg seems to turn out to the side so maybe I am dealing with a lack of vitamin issue. Will the legs get better over time with good vitamins? Are the baby vitamins I am using sufficient enough in B vitamin?

Let's back up, 'n take a closer look at this whole thing. The last post by seminolewind got me to thinkin' that we've all been overlookin' a possible cause of these issues. And, now that you've another chicken w/ leg issues? It's important to find the true cause.

SoOo ...

What have you been feeding your chicks, your chickens, and the handicapped bird, including supplements 'n such, and are you *certain* they have not spoiled, or become infested, or been recalled by the manufacturer(s)?

I thought your chicks hadn't been around any other sources of airborne diseases that might infect 'em, but ... apparently, you have other chickens, which means that *you* have, which means that *they* have, which dramatically increases the chances that some infection may be the cause.

Last edited:
Let's back up, 'n take a closer look at this whole thing. The last post by seminolewind got me to thinkin' that we've all been overlookin' a possible cause of these issues. And, now that you've another chicken w/ leg issues? It's important to find the true cause.

SoOo ...

What have you been feeding your chicks, your chickens, and the handicapped bird, including supplements 'n such, and are you *certain* they have not spoiled, or become infested, or been recalled by the manufacturer(s)?

I thought your chicks hadn't been around any other sources of airborne diseases that might infect 'em, but ... apparently, you have other chickens, which means that *you* have, which means that *they* have, which dramatically increases the chances that some infection may be the cause.
I have been feeding them the chick feed you get at Tractor Supply. I only buy what I need and I keep it in my pantry so it has never gotten spoiled, or become infested. I have not fed them anything else, no table scraps, no treats, nothing but the baby chicken feed. It does say medicated on the bag but that is the only baby chicken feed I could find. I don't have any other chickens. The only chickens I have are the seven I hatched six weeks ago tomorrow. I am new to the whole chicken thing and this is the first time I have owned any chickens. The handicapped one was hatched the same day as the others and it has been handicapped since day one. I took it to the vet when it was a week old and the vet told me it has a skeletal deformity that it was born with. The handicapped chicken has been getting baby vitamins since it was born because I read somewhere that may help it and the vet told me that was good for it. I have not given the other ones vitamins because up until now they have all been growing normally and acting normal. The two that are now having leg issues are both Rhode Island Reds. They are showing no other symptoms of being sick. They are still eating a lot and drinking. They just seem to both have a leg that is not working very well. The chickens have been in the house in their brooder since they were born. We are getting ready to move them to their hen house and coop this weekend.

SoOo ...

This is what I am feeding them: http://www.tractorsupply.com/dumor-reg-chick-starter-grower-20-10-lb--1028113. Thanks for any help or insight. I also fed them this http://www.tractorsupply.com/manna-pro-reg-medicated-chick-starter-5-lb--1003043 for about three weeks because the store was out of the other chick feed. The first link, the bag is much bigger for about the same price as the other brand.

Last edited:
This is what I am feeding them: http://www.tractorsupply.com/dumor-reg-chick-starter-grower-20-10-lb--1028113. Thanks for any help or insight. I also fed them this http://www.tractorsupply.com/manna-pro-reg-medicated-chick-starter-5-lb--1003043 for about three weeks because the store was out of the other chick feed. The first link, the bag is much bigger for about the same price as the other brand.
Product Description EXPANDED RECALL: DUMOR CHICK STARTER 24%, TRACTOR SUPPLY COMPANY, 200 POWELL PLACE, BRENTWOOD, TN 37027-6812, NET WEIGHT 50 LB (22.67 KG), UPC 7 49394 05739 8, 60X7 , 0046443.
Recall Number V-097-2013
Classification Class I
Code Info Lot Codes: 2MAY30MFI1, 2JUN13NST1A1, 2MAY31STJ1, 2JUN13MFI1, 2JUN14NST1A1, 2MAY31STJ3, 2JUN22MFI1, 2JUN19NST2A1, 2JUN05STJ2, 2JUL11MFI3, 2JUN20NST2A1, 2JUN20STJ1, 2JUL02NST2A1, 2JUN26STJ2, 2JUL16NST2A1, 2JUL03STJ2, 2JUL16STJ2
Product Distributed Qty 4,491 bags
Reason For Recall Land O Lakes Purina LLC is recalling two batches of Pheasants Starter A Medicated feed produced on 6/13/12 and 7/2/12 because there was a formulation error and Vitamin D was omitted. Recall expanded 7-26-12 to include other products due to the lack of added vitamin D.

Hopefully, this isn't the problem, but ... vitamin D is a might important component in feed, most esp. for developing chicks.

Also, what are they on -- the surface of the brooder. That's often the problem, as if their feet can slip? They'll have issues.

Back
Top Bottom