Chick and Bator questions! Help!

BarredBuff

Songster
10 Years
Dec 6, 2009
At 7 this evening day 21 began. One chick out of 11 eggs has hatched, that was around 3. I took it from the bator (because of the amount of afterbirth it had on it) and put it in the brooder box. It can barely stand and won't walk. It just falls down onto its legs. Is something wrong or is it just wobbly?

Then I have 6 eggs that I can tell piped, 2 did last night and they havent hatched yet. One has zipped but the other hasnt. They are moving, and making noise. Is it just going to be a slow process?

Thanks (First hatch, here) :pop

Yes, it is a slow process. Eggs can pip and then not make a move for over 24 hours! When my chicks hatch, I generally leave them in the 'bator overnight so they are totally fluffed out and active before I put them in the brooder.

Yes, it is a slow process. Eggs can pip and then not make a move for over 24 hours! When my chicks hatch, I generally leave them in the 'bator overnight so they are totally fluffed out and active before I put them in the brooder.

After I did it, I regretted it but I think it will be fine. Thanks for the info!

I also get in a rush to move the baby chicks out of the bator. Everyone is right . You have to leave any and all chicks in the bator to dry on there own. I wait 24hours after then move them . Hope you the best.

I actually don't leave my chicks in the bator to dry on their own. For some reason all my chicks that hatch or mischievous. They end up moving all the eggs around, they try to drown themselves in the water bowl for the humidity, they run around like mad people. when they hatch i keep them in the bator for an hour or so and then put them in a very warm (100 degrees) brooder to dry off and get all fluffy and sleep. This works out better for me personally.

Its okay if your chick isn't walking. Some of them are so clumsy and retarded they are barely able to lift their heads. it may take a day or so. however if you notice its legs are spread way apart and has no chance of walking then it probably has spayed leg. you can google that if you don't know what it is. but this is fixable with a bandaid or some tape.

Do watch however, if you do move your chicks into the brooder early, that the brooder only contains paper towels or newspaper as the bottom. if there is wood chips already in there they will try to eat them. Also, try to avoid adding a water dish for the first couple hours. When chicks are first born they tend to jump into water because they are used to the aqueous environment like in the egg. They end up drowning themselves in the water.

Back
Top Bottom