chick attacked by bird cannot walk

MariaRivas

Hatching
Jan 1, 2022
Hello!
I hope you can help me. This afternoon I watched how a bird attacked the hen and her free-living chicks in my neighborhood. I ran out and scared the bird away but one of the chicks was left with its wings open in the grass and its legs were thrown back. She has a small injure on the back, between the two wings but it looks like a minor wound. I cleaned it and it´s ok. What worries me is that the chick cannot walk. I have her in a box, he ate and drank water. Shake a lot. I put a thermal blanket on her. What I can do? Also, I feel a sound like a "track" inside her body when chirps. I appreciate your help.

Sorry about the chick. The bird may have injured the chick’s spine or caused some other internal damage. Was it a hawk or other type of bird? I would just keep the chick warm and separated in the box, offering food and water often. It may recover some leg function but hard to know at this time. A chicken sling or chair might be of some help, and you can make one at home. Those can be helpful to get chicks up and kept cleaner, while helping them to eat and drink often. Here is a link with examples of chick chairs, and in post 11, it gives the picture of the general design:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Sorry about the chick. The bird may have injured the chick’s spine or caused some other internal damage. Was it a hawk or other type of bird? I would just keep the chick warm and separated in the box, offering food and water often. It may recover some leg function but hard to know at this time. A chicken sling or chair might be of some help, and you can make one at home. Those can be helpful to get chicks up and kept cleaner, while helping them to eat and drink often. Here is a link with examples of chick chairs, and in post 11, it gives the picture of the general design:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
Thank you very much for your response. It was a hawk and then they flew for a while and I stayed there until they left. There were two of them. I will take your advice, I really appreciate your help!

Back
Top Bottom