Chick behavior when introduced to run

New pullets (and cockerel) in new surroundings can do unpredictable things...but my gut tells me when I see that kind of behavior, something startled them and they ran to the coop for cover.

Now that something could have been almost anything in their little minds...but you might want to check to make sure you don't have hawks or coons or something making a "drive by" to the new tasty nuggets in the drive through.

LofMc
Hi there — thanks! I did spend a bunch of time with them in the run and coop throughout the day. Our coop is in a secure barn and the run is secure inside a fenced paddock. Our Great Pyr usually hangs out nearby … so I don’t think it was a predator. Who knows what it was. I’m glad they seem to have solid instincts — curious but vigilant — and a good roo is among them!

Mine all did that ( 2 ) sets of young pullets) and it's a sweltering 100 here?!? They're all piled together I gently swoop them out after awhile so they can learn they won't DIE outside and they can cool off in wet dirt, drink, eat, etc. ! First batch I assumed they were having fun pretending to be top dogs while hens were outside( like sitting in Dad's recliner while he's gone :wee ) now they're fine . It's like a senior high school! Now those 1st set of chicks are my BULLIES!!! It's like they turned Seniors overnight! Poop heads! They bullied next set of 4 chicks even though they were raised together for 4 weeks! Chickens are goofballs. The 2nd set of chicks are now brave and all is well now , that took about 10 -14 days but they finally got it. Now roost time that's a different story . I've been lazy since it's so hot and let them roost outside in my secured coop/run ( kind of like sleeping in a tent in backyard! Lol
It’s amazing all the stages chicks go through. Sounds like you have a flock enjoying adolescence!

Back
Top Bottom