Chick behavior while handling them

Brienna

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Quebec, Canada
Hello!

I've been reading a lot on the forum and have yet to post something, so here is my first question!

I am new to raising chicks. We got 5 last monday, and today they are around 1 1/2 to 2 weeks old. They are all healthy and super sweet.

Now, I am questioning if this behavior is normal or if I should be worried: while I am holding particular chick in my hand, she seems to twitch her feet and head a lot, as if she is trying to dig..or get comfy? she stops for a moment to sleep and then she does it again...she doesn't seem to do it when she is in the brooder and she is the only chick that does that. I am not holding her down or anything, she is free to leave my hand whenever she wants to. She seems happy and fine all the time.

have any of you experienced this behavior also? is she trying to ''dust bath'' even though there's nothing there ? ;)

Thanks for your help!

I'd just keep an eye out for anything that looks like a problem, like not eating or gaining weight, or being severely pecked/picked on, as in, drawing blood.. They sleep so much when little, and often in short naps, and their movements are so awkward, it would probably be hard to give you an answer even if you had posted a vidotape of this.

What I'm wondering is whether she might have imprinted on you, and this is just her feeling extra safe with you.

Back
Top Bottom