Chick boredom quandary-please answer!

Get a pie pan or a shallow bowl, fill it halfway with rice or oatmeal or even sand, put in a few live mealworms and make sure they are covered before putting the pan into the brooder.

Get live crickets from the pet store and put them in the brooder one or two at a time.

Dig up worm from your garden or get red wigglers from a bait shop, put in the brooder one or two at a time.

I have a platform bed (small wooden box cigar sized) and put baby quilts (chick sized) on that. they love their bed. When I go to clean their pen I have to push them off when I put it back they hop back on. suprisingly it is less messy than the rest of the pen.

Thanks for the idea-- live bugs might be fun. :) It's still cold here (Montana) so I don't dare give them time outside, although I think they'd love it. They LOVE dried mealworms, so no reason why live ones wouldn't be even more entertaining. :)

I got a big, shallow container and put some bugs in it before covering it up with a heap of dirt. It kept them busy for ages, and they were all trying to scratch at once in it! We also put some bright pictures from magazines and stuck them up in the coop. They loved pecking at it.

Back
Top Bottom