Chick born deformed, should I cull?

zooinmypocket

Songster
5 Years
Aug 21, 2016
California
Hello, today is day 21 of my latest hatch. Didn't have outstanding results, of 20 only 14 hatched, but completely normal, 5 DIS and I just helped one out but it was born deformed. No eyes just the indents and scissorbeak that isn't too dramatic, but something seems wrong with her face bones they move around strangely when closing her beak after peeping. I'm wondering if I should skip the heartbreak and pain and just cull her when she finishes drying? I'll try to get pictures when more fluffed up. Also slightly upset that she was the only female to hatch out of my sex link set, the rest were males.

Hi there,

Sorry about your chick. :hugs

Considering that she is blind, I would probably cull. Of course, she might make it if you spend a lot of time feeding her and supervising, but that's hard to do. What you describe with the face bones is also odd. So it may be better for you not to keep her :(.

I culled her Saturday. I've been really disappointed in the method of culling that uses baking soda and vinegar. I attempted that first, but she was in there over an hour and didn't pass on her own. I used kitchen shears and will use that method from now on.

Hi there,

Sorry about your chick. :hugs

Considering that she is blind, I would probably cull. Of course, she might make it if you spend a lot of time feeding her and supervising, but that's hard to do. What you describe with the face bones is also odd. So it may be better for you not to keep her :(.

Thank you I appreciate it.

I culled her Saturday. I've been really disappointed in the method of culling that uses baking soda and vinegar. I attempted that first, but she was in there over an hour and didn't pass on her own. I used kitchen shears and will use that method from now on.
I'm sorry you had to go through this. You did right, and your final method I think is the best and most humane way. She felt no pain with that.

Back
Top Bottom