Chick born Saturday, we thought was dead, still has trouble drinking.

JulieAGill

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
I rescued a neighborhood chick that mama rejected or thought was dead (so did we). I realized it was still breathing so brought it in to get it warmed up. It was quite weak and slept most of the day. It was born sometime Saturday, not sure how long it was not under mom, we found it Sunday afternoon. It has been drinking some but seems to have trouble unless it's little drops at a time. I can't leave water in its box because it easily falls asleep and I don't want it to drown or get wet. I took it to work with me Monday so I could give it water. It's box temp is usually at 95 but then it seems to just sleep. When it's cooler baby is more active. I also noticed that it tends to shiver once in awhile. I gave it sugar water for a day and will go to the feed store to get some quick chick. Does anyone have any input on
What else I can do for baby? I'm kind of starting to worry it won't make it.

Most chicks don't need to eat for 2 or 3 days after hatching. Try teaching him how to drink by pecking your finger in the water or holding him and gently placing his beak in the water. Just a quick dip. Don't want him to aspirate any. Since he is a few days old you could try moistening a bit of starter crumble and placing it in his beak to see if you can start getting some food in him. Good luck. I hope he gets stronger and pulls through.

When it does drink on its own it then acts like it's gagging. I didn't know they could go without water for up to three days. I knew food they could. Compared to its siblings who left our yard with mama sometime Sunday afternoon this one is weak, sleeps a lot and that's about it. I talked to someone at our local feed store and they think mama ignored it because it is maybe sick. She was only about 4 inches from this one laying on the other chicks. I bought some electrolyte mix but one little pack that has about 1 1/2 tsp of powder is to be mixed with a gallon of water and you can only use it for one day. This little guy may drink a teaspoon of it in a day. I did buy a package of nipples and will make a little water bottle for it and see if it will drink from it.
It also seemed to be more lethargic under the light so they suggested I went with the heating pad under the box on one end to see if that perks the little baby up. To be honest though they felt I am fighting a losing battle that I am not quite ready to lose yet. It is three days old today and I know a normal chick should be more active so I don't know, they may be right.

Oh, I have mixed crumble with water and it pecks at it a little but not much. I mixed some with the electrolyte water too. I am also going to see about getting a little medicine dropper that has measurements on it so I can kind of keep track of its water intake. I WILL NOT GIVE UP!!

I am sorry about your chick
hit.gif

Oh, I have mixed crumble with water and it pecks at it a little but not much. I mixed some with the electrolyte water too. I am also going to see about getting a little medicine dropper that has measurements on it so I can kind of keep track of its water intake. I WILL NOT GIVE UP!!
It's much safer just to dip it's beak into the water for a second, then let him swallow. Repeat this several times every hour or so with the electrolyte mix. At this stage he may not make it, but I would put down some paper towel and sprinkle chick crumble on it where he will see it and peck at it. You will have given him a good chance.

I just tried giving it more electrolyte water, it took about 3 drops, didn't even open it's eyes or peep. I think it's just too weak. I have it in a box with the heating pad under it. I will put down crumble but with the fact that it doesn't open it's little eyes I don't think it will matter. Tried getting it to take moist crumble too but nothing. Not really sure what else I can do for the poor baby.

I just tried giving it more electrolyte water, it took about 3 drops, didn't even open it's eyes or peep. I think it's just too weak. I have it in a box with the heating pad under it. I will put down crumble but with the fact that it doesn't open it's little eyes I don't think it will matter. Tried getting it to take moist crumble too but nothing. Not really sure what else I can do for the poor baby.
I'm sorry to hear that it isn't doing so well!
hugs.gif

I'd try to give it more water in an hour or so (give it time to rest). Maybe, it'll still pull through! You can try some raw egg yolk, too.

No matter what happens, know that you're doing a great job trying to save it! Some chicks just aren't destined to live- but that shouldn't stop you from trying!

Last edited:
I just tried the egg yolk. Had to use a toothpick with yolk on it to get it in its beak, did that about 4 times. It licked the yolk off but did not take it on its own. I don't know how fast their hearts beat but his/hers is pretty fast. Breathing doesn't seem fast, but, very weak, can't hold its head up. Doesn't even fight when I roll it on its side or back checking for pasty butt. Hasn't pooped in a few hours even though it has gotten water. I know as a 3 day old chick it should be way more active than this. What started my whole chicken experience was a 3 day old chick that mom either rejected or left. It is now 11 weeks old. So, the way this one is acting I know is not normal. Like Wyandottes7 says, I am doing everything I can at this point. Whatever happens now is up to the little chick.

So, since my last post I have tried given baby chick more egg yolk but it is still very lethargic and won't open its beak. This last time I did it acted like it was gasping for air. I have a stethoscope and listen to its heart and breathing. Its heart beat is quite fast which I guess is normal. The breathing I couldn't tell you if it was normal or not, its not rapid so I don't know if that's good or bad. Does anyone think I should just let nature take its course or continue to give it wet crumble, electrolytes and or yolk? It is still on the heating pad but I turned it down from high to medium. It can move off the heat if it had the strength. What would any of you do at this point if you were me? I have to go to work tomorrow and I don't think taking baby in the car again will be the best thing for it either.

Back
Top Bottom