Chick born with curly toes, suggestions?

Sep 25, 2020
Forestville, NY
Hello, this is my first chick born with problems.
I have tried to do the bandage method but this chick isn’t understanding it.

It was born Friday night, after it struggled the whole day I assisted it. Now I know why it needed help. It had a problem with its leg.
I bandaged the toes but it still just spreads it leg out and flips around aimlessly.

What can I do to help it more?

Attachments

• 8E18CD0E-B702-4C28-9B17-126727B1AAB6.jpeg
    8E18CD0E-B702-4C28-9B17-126727B1AAB6.jpeg
    488.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 41124440-194B-4DF1-A35D-1C185265F90D.jpeg
    41124440-194B-4DF1-A35D-1C185265F90D.jpeg
    379 KB · Views: 9
I saw a picture online of someone making a body sling using a sock. I tried that. Now its almost no distress chirping.

Attachments

• BB066CC2-CCB2-4F6E-A971-EDC8FA17647B.jpeg
    BB066CC2-CCB2-4F6E-A971-EDC8FA17647B.jpeg
    277.1 KB · Views: 8
Sometimes chicks are born this way due to a riboflavin deficiency (started with the parent stock) so I would supplement with a B complex tablet or capsule, 1/4 of one ground up and mixed in some feed if it will eat. The shoe should help keep the toes straight. For the sling, it may be better to position it so that the chick can just touch the ground. It takes some of them a bit longer to get their legs. You can also use another version of a chick chair, to help keep it upright, find it's legs, and eat and drink better. Some examples of that here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
It's also possible that there was an injury or deformity, sometimes from malpositioning in the egg. Time will tell.

Hello, this is my first chick born with problems.
I have tried to do the bandage method but this chick isn’t understanding it.

It was born Friday night, after it struggled the whole day I assisted it. Now I know why it needed help. It had a problem with its leg.
I bandaged the toes but it still just spreads it leg out and flips around aimlessly.

What can I do to help it more?
I'd worry more about the splayed leg. Wic would need a hobble to realign the leg. As for the curled toes, i've had success with the booty style. What you do is use something like cardboard, cut it in the correct shape of the chick's foot and use bandages to secure the toes in the right place.

Sometimes chicks are born this way due to a riboflavin deficiency (started with the parent stock) so I would supplement with a B complex tablet or capsule, 1/4 of one ground up and mixed in some feed if it will eat. The shoe should help keep the toes straight. For the sling, it may be better to position it so that the chick can just touch the ground. It takes some of them a bit longer to get their legs. You can also use another version of a chick chair, to help keep it upright, find it's legs, and eat and drink better. Some examples of that here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
It's also possible that there was an injury or deformity, sometimes from malpositioning in the egg. Time will tell.
These are great examples! Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom