Red lump in my baby chick's knee

Jonan

Hatching
Feb 1, 2024
Hello. This chick was born 5 days ago. However she looks like she was born yesterday and can't spread her left leg at all. Her knee (in the picture) looks very sore and red. She can't walk at all and we have to feed her and give her water manually because she cannot do it on her own. My family suggested we leave it be, because they thought it might be dysplasia or that it's just a development issue that might go away as she grows.
It is not going away, it's getting worse. She sleeps all day (way more than the other chicks) and she barely makes any noise, even when I pick her up.

I don't want her to be in pain and I don't want her to die. I can't go to the vet because of financial problems and I don't know what to do.

Please help.

20240201_164827.jpg

It's hard to tell from just a photo, but look up slipped tendon and see if the description of that matches.
A quick summary, but please read up in it as I've only dealt with this once - You will feel the tendon on the side of the joint instead of down the little indent in the center of the joint. If you can feel it and confirm it is a slipped tendon, gently straighten the chicks leg out and use your fingers to, very carefully move the tendon back into place. If it is a slipped tendon and you don't fix it, it will be permanent. There is good information on BYC about treatment for slipped tendons, ideas on little chick chairs and such to help them heal.

It's hard to tell from just a photo, but look up slipped tendon and see if the description of that matches.
A quick summary, but please read up in it as I've only dealt with this once - You will feel the tendon on the side of the joint instead of down the little indent in the center of the joint. If you can feel it and confirm it is a slipped tendon, gently straighten the chicks leg out and use your fingers to, very carefully move the tendon back into place. If it is a slipped tendon and you don't fix it, it will be permanent. There is good information on BYC about treatment for slipped tendons, ideas on little chick chairs and such to help them heal.
Thank you I will read more about it. I tried feeling the tendon and I think it is dislocated but the knee is so big that I can't completely tell, and I don't know how to fix it with how swollen the knee is.

I will come back to update in a bit.

Thank you I will read more about it. I tried feeling the tendon and I think it is dislocated but the knee is so big that I can't completely tell, and I don't know how to fix it with how swollen the knee is.

I will come back to update in a bit.
I hope you are able to work it back in. Good luck :fl

Back
Top Bottom