Chick Born with No Vent! What DO I do.

canada-goose

Is Mostly Harmless
11 Years
Jul 16, 2009
That sounds bad. I'm no expert but I think you might have to cull it.
sad.png

Cloverleaf Farm

Bearded Birds are Best
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
Levan, UT
Yes. PLEASE end it's suffering right away! (I have found that a sharp pair of shears is the fastest, kindest way for the chicky, cover everything with a paper towel so you don't have to see it and it'll be easier for you too).
hugs.gif

Opa

Opa-wan Chickenobi
12 Years
May 11, 2008
Howell Michigan
No vent? I'm sure it will die and culling it would be the kindest thing. If it should happen to live can you imagine how mean it would be?

Cloverleaf Farm

Bearded Birds are Best
11 Years
Sep 16, 2008
Levan, UT
Quote:
I certainly wouldn't want to go that way. Just because they don't sqwuak and carry on doesn't mean it's a pleasant way to go... JMO

silkiechicken

Staff PhD
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
13 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Everett WA/Corvallis OR
Double check to see if there is no vent. The large belly with what would be holding in an asorbed yolk should have a "sealed up" naval spot. The vent should be just under the tail.

Soccer Mom

Songster
10 Years
May 5, 2009
West of Crazy
I'm so sorry.
sad.png
What a terrible thing. Yes, cull immediately. It can't survive and and will only suffer. I favor the kitchen shears. It's a very quick and merciful end.

KKatknap

Songster
10 Years
Nov 15, 2009
Albany, OR
Quote:
I second this - be absolutely certain of what you are seeing before you cull. Can you show a pic?

ETA - If you do a search for baking soda & vinegar, this is a humane way to do this without having to go through the kitchen shears thing. The shears are also quick (if they're very sharp), but I personally don't think I could do it. I have done the baking soda thing.

Last edited:

carriehelene

Songster
10 Years
Feb 9, 2009
Capital Region NY
Please listen to Silkiechicken, I've had a large-bellied chick before, sometimes they absorb a huge yolk, giving them a huge belly, to large to walk. Once the yolk is digested, the belly gets alot smaller. If you can, please post a picture of where the vent is/should be.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom