chick born with swollen belly

welcome-byc.gif
I agree. I wouldn't worry yet, she appears to be still absorbing the yolk and the navel will dry up and heal. I have had chicks similar and they made it ok. Good luck...
thumbsup.gif
jumpy.gif
love.gif
hugs.gif

Thank you kindly. I really appreciate the help! She seems to be doing better this morning? She quieted down after getting some sleep.
clap.gif

Doesn't look too serious to me. Just a navel that didn't detach from the umbilicus as cleanly as the others. IMO not a sign of too-high humidity in this case, although Me&Jack is right that it can be a sign of too-high humidity. In this case I think it's more likely just a chick that rushed to hatch before it was quite ready, or maybe caught the umbilicus on a sharp bit of eggshell while hatching. Just happens sometimes. Belly doesn't even look all that swollen to me, prob just seems that way cause the chick's not dried out and fluffed up yet.

I bet once it's fluffed up you won't be able to see anything odd about it, and it'll go on to be fine. I hope so anyway!

I just had a chick with the same thing about 2 weeks ago. It was like a hernia. She is fine now and it is getting smaller every day. She never stopped eating or acted like it was a big deal so I just left her alone.

Yeah, the little baby should be fine. A little triple antibiotics without the pain reliever added to it, applied to the navel, and she should be as good as new!

I am so glad I signed up for BYC! We purchased fertilized eggs for our broody hen, and this week, 19 of them hatched! This community as great when I asked how long I should wait unti discarding the eggs that didnt hatch. Now we have a chick (one of the newest ones that hatched yesterday) with a swollen belly, very sluggish and lethargic.

I am trying the triple antibiotic right now (the cord-area is really swollen), and I wiped its butt with a q-tip with hot water, but nothing came out.

So, lets see if he gets better. Poor little guy.

Sad to hear.. I had to cull two of my last batch cause they just were not thriving... Such a hard thing to deal with when they make it to hatch and then dont make it. Outdoors they either keep up with Momma or she leaves them behind.

welcome-byc.gif
BUT ALSO SORRY ABOUT YOUR
jumpy.gif

IF ITS ANY COMFORT IM A FIRST TIME HATCHER AND I HAD 2 OUT OF 9 IN A HOME MADE BATOR . NEXT TIME WILL BE EASIER YOU LEARN WHAT TO DO AND HOW TO ACT
highfive.gif
WE ARE ALL HERE TO HELP
thumbsup.gif
AND ALL DOING THE SAME !

Back
Top Bottom