Chick born without eyes :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 5770amber, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Tika75

Tika75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I'm not sure where you are, but a teacher might want it for a classroom pet. It would be good to help children learn about others with differences and also to help them learn about compassion.

1 person likes this.
  2. 5770amber

5770amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2015
    She is running around with the chicks in the brooder. I've tried several times to get her to eat and drink but she wouldn't. I'm hoping she will eventually get the hang of it.

3. 5770amber

Jul 21, 2015
    Still can't get her to eat but she drank a little. She gasps for air with her head straight up after every drink. Idk if she will make it. [​IMG]

4. 5770amber

Jul 21, 2015
    She's still alive and drinking but still not eating. Any ideas on what I can feed her? I was thinking watered down yogurt?

5. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    If she's not drinking or eating I'd suggest a mixture of yogurt and unflavored pediatric electrolytes. If she just hatched a few days ago she very well could be living off her yolk, but I'd try to get something in her belly ASAP. You may have to dropper feed her for the first few days, make sure the mix is liquid enough for her to swallow, and just try giving her a drop at a time. If her eyes didn't develop there's no telling what soft tissues in her sinuses may be underdeveloped, which could explain the gasping after drinking. Can she breathe through her nostrils when she's not drinking, or does she breathe through her mouth?

6. 5770amber

Jul 21, 2015
    She is drinking but not eating. She opens her beak when she gasps for air after drinking. She holds her head and neck straight up after taking a drink. I will try those suggestions!

7. csneill

csneill Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2015
    Northeast Nebraska
    I just wondered how your baby chick is doing?

8. MotherhenXOXO

MotherhenXOXO Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2016
    Is your chick hanging in there? I really hope she is!

9. 5770amber

Jul 21, 2015
    She is still here. Drinks great with no more gasping after. She just started eating yesterday! She's tiny but still has lots of energy and running around.

1 person likes this.
  10. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

She may have the karma now to become a "special pet" chicken!!! Sounds so sweetie! (I KNOW you just hatched a hundred!!!)....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by