Chick breed id

BradfordDunham

Hatching
Jun 11, 2020
We ordered a dozen straight run chicks from a hatchery. All arrived safe and sound. Three weeks old now. We ordered blue cochin bantams. One of the dozen is not like the others. We originally thought it was a lavender cochin bantam, but at this stage I am thinking it's not a cochin at all. The dark chick pictured is a typical chick of this group and the light colored one is the odd ball. Any guesses as to what breed it is? Pretty sure it's a male.
20200611_090152.jpg

20200611_090346.jpg

We ordered a dozen straight run chicks from a hatchery. All arrived safe and sound. Three weeks old now. We ordered blue cochin bantams. One of the dozen is not like the others. We originally thought it was a lavender cochin bantam, but at this stage I am thinking it's not a cochin at all. The dark chick pictured is a typical chick of this group and the light colored one is the odd ball. Any guesses as to what breed it is? Pretty sure it's a male.View attachment 2188572

View attachment 2188575
Ya, the rose comb is definitely not Cochin and agreed it's a cockerel. :)

Rose comb plus feathered legs.. maybe bantam olive egger??

Knowing which hatchery definitely helps narrow things down. :pop

Ya, the rose comb is definitely not Cochin and agreed it's a cockerel. :)

Rose comb plus feathered legs.. maybe bantam olive egger??

Knowing which hatchery definitely helps narrow things down. :pop

Ideal Poultry. We've been happy with them over all and have ordered from them in the past. We ordered a dozen straight run hoping for 4 to 6 pullets to keep. Can't have roosters where we are. Looking like we will be about half & half m/f so it's not a big deal that this one is a cockerel of "unspecified lineage" 😄😄. I am just curious now what he might turn out to be 👍.

I am not seeing anything that really lines up. The closest thing I see they have is a Splash Wyandotte Bantam which explains leg color and comb. Not sure about the feathered legs... Maybe a weird genetic thing?
It's a mystery! I hope we get some kind of idea before we rehome the cockerels. Otherwise the mystery will make my brain itch 😊

The closest thing I see they have is a Splash
Splash can look lavender early on. The closest thing I thought I found was MAYBE the light Brahma... wondering if it was pea comb that just resembles rose.

Maybe there is a feather leg somewhere in Wyandotte history and it just happened to surface??

I do LOVE a good mystery! :pop

Back
Top Bottom