Chick brooder basement with rabbits, dangers

Disecky

Chirping
Jun 27, 2020
BerkshireCounty Western MA
I have 2 sets of chicks in my basement, 5 Silkie & 1 black sexlink (5 weeks), and 10 lavendar Orpingtons (2 weeks). I have 2 big brooders attached to each other with screen between. These brooders are close to my rabbit condos. I am starting to worry that my rabbits are going to get sick from the chicken. I wash my hands between handling either chicks or rabbits, but I am nervous about the dust now.
Should I move these chicks outside to the garage? My coop was supposed to be here last month. They are promising it will be here this week. I could keep them outside during day and move to basement at night. Planning to move the older chicks to coop as soon as it comes. Any advice would be appreciate.

thanks so much
liseann

Should be fine. Just try to keep everything clean and separate. We keep quail right near our bunnies with no negative affects.

It probably depends on how much dust is actually in the air--rabbits don't do well with lots of dust, chickens often do produce a lot of dust, and many basements have poor ventilation.

Does it seem dusty or stinky when you walk in? Your own nose is often the best check! If you're fine, then the rabbits are probably OK too.

I don't think there are any specific diseases you would need to worry about, just air quality in general.

At our local county fair the market rabbits were housed in the poultry barn. In a side room with wood boards up but the rabbits were still breathing in the air that 300+ chickens were in. For about a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom