CHICK CAM

philogirl

Songster
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Chicks are hatching out on our chick cam.
wee.gif

5 have hatched so far. 30 eggs in the incubator.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/avhs-chickens

Beth

They are so cute. I have been watching off and on. Chick number 7 i think. Just hatched about 3 mins ago. I wasnt sure if you were tring to keep track or not. It was 1:50 am central time.

Last edited:
Hi,
Well, the egg cartons are a bit unnatural, (so is incubator hatching) but it solves a hatching problem - rolling eggs. When the first chicks hatch they stumble around. While they are stumbling they roll the other eggs all over the place. Those rolled eggs are out of position making it hard for them to hatch. I first learned of carton hatching on BYC. There are many posts on BYC and You Tube has many videos about carton hatching. The carton cells have the bottoms cut out to allow air flow and humidity to reach the egg evenly. This is the second time I have used cartons. I like it and have had good results so far.

Beth

Thanks, most of these are varieties of bantam Cochins, a few frizzles and some Welsummers.

The camera I use is a IPEVO Point 2 View USB Document Camera. I use it in my classroom. I
made a homemade stand to fit it in the incubator. Wish it had a wide lens. You also want to have a light overhead so you can see in the incubator.

Ustream is free, although you can pay for professtional use. I use the free stuff.

It is important to set up the camera when you are locking down or stopping the egg turning at the end of incubation.
Don't open the incubator during the last 3 days.

The pictures are of a hatch before I started using cartons to hatch.

Hope this helps.

I love your do not open signs!!!

I also love that you have room to stick your camera in the incubator. Great light!

i have a brinsea mini advance, so I don't get quite as good of a view as you do.

Thanks for sharing, it's fun to get a chick fix. My eggs are due to hatch Sun/Mon, so this gets me excited to see them again.

Back
Top Bottom