CHICK CAM

Very cool. I have a camera in my coop so I can watch from the house and see what they are up to or who is laying where etc. Network cams are neat and useful!

I would love to do that. What camera do you use? Was it fairly easy to set up? Do you have it in the coop or the run? I'd be tempted to put it in the run because it's much better light out there.

It's a Rosewill RSX-3211 network camera. I got it on sale at newegg.com for like 40 or 50 bucks and it comes with a neat mounting bracket. It's inside my coop and working fine during the winter (I have a heat lamp producing light) due to the light inside but during the day the light shines in the window producing enough light. It is a very easy setup too so long as you don't want to forward the port to the net like the first post is. But I hear that is easy as well. The camera even came with software to record, take video/pictures upon motion detection and either save the file to your computer or send the file via email, and has nice exposure settings. I mostly use it to see if all the ladies are in before I treck out there to lock them up. This particular camera is wired via (for me) a 100' CAT5 network cable to a switch I have indoors connected to the network. But they also make wireless ones (cost more) that would make setup easier. But I'm cheap and don't mind burying a cable to the house. If anyone wants I could make a video of the setup. Oh, if you have the dough you can get one that has IR features so you don't need to worry about lighting at all. But again, I'm cheap.
Aaron

Last edited:
Quote:
Somebody help out the poor guy with just the little hole! Been keeping an eye on him all day...can't stop! :)

I have been watching it a day too. Around 5:30 PST I took it out and helped it, but I am not sure it will survive. I put it back in the incubator behind a piece of carton so the older chicks will leave it alone. It was still breathing...we will see tomorrow.

hope he makes it!

Just checked on the chicks and the weak little one is still alive.
smile.png

Oh no! I see a little wet one that has gimpy legs! :(. Is that the one you are all talking about??

Back
Top Bottom