ansmith1999

Chirping
Jun 14, 2020
Hello,

My sisters silkie chick (under a week old, not sure of the exact age) suddenly had splayed legs this morning, one in front one in back. Earlier we did the hair tie trick to get her legs to stay together and try to keep them under her, but she cannot stand or move, and is unable to bend her left leg. We tried to feel around for a slipped tendon and stretched her leg to no avail. I’m not sure if I can bend it myself as I don’t have enough experience and don’t want to put too much pressure on it, but it seems stiff and unwilling to bend. She was in a chick chair for a few hours which seemed to make her feel more comfortable, but I took her out for the night. She can’t even lift herself up on her other leg or even scoot around and won’t eat, so I’ve been feeding her electrolyte water and egg yolk. Very concerned she won’t make it through the night, any tips or suggestions? thanks

I wonder if it managed to injure itself. Here's another version of a chick chair that lets the chick move around some even with a leg problem posted by @Kattnchick a while back.

1593067668224.png

Another trick I've found is to use the 'krinkle paper' used in gift wrap (like the cardboard material, not foil) and prop them up in a container of some variety - so their body weight is supported, the bad leg can hang down without being subject to further injury, with food and water in easy reach.

A little sugar water is a good pick-me-up - poultridrench too if it starts to look weak.

Also - what is she using for bedding in the chick brooder? Some things are slippery for chicks that seem ideal (like newspaper, for example) that can lead to this sort of problem - I ask only to ensure if that's the potential problem, it gets fixed before it happens to another chick.

Back
Top Bottom