Chick Can't Poop!

koakritters

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Petaluma
I have a chick that can't poop. It's very swollen back there now, with obvious backup of waste trying to get out, what can i do to help it? I swear i'm about to give this batch of chicks away, i've had more health problems with them than any ones before... how can i make my chick poop? It's drinking fine...

is the bottom protruding out like a prolaps? ive had chicks do that i would take a q-tip and a tiny amount of vasiline and put it on the bottom to just help get things easier to push.

I'm sorry this is happening to you! I'm not sure about immediate action, but I know that putting molasses in the water helps--it's a natural laxative. Try keeping her in steamy water, and gently clean off anything that may be hanging out. If you get really desperate putting something like olive oil around her vent may help.

I hope she gets well soon!
fl.gif

You need to get the poop cleaned away from the chicks behind as soon as possible. You can try a soft damp cloth first. If that doesn't work, soak the chicks backside in warm water until it softens. Pasty butt kills chicks quickly so you need to do this tonight. You will have to check often to make sure it does not build up again.

Some people use apple cider vinegar in their drinking water to help resolve the issue. Search "pasty butt" in th search box for more specific info on this. I keep a dish of sand in my brooder and have not had pasty butt issues.

she is all cleaned up, nothing around there. it's just all stuck inside her...

we don't have molasses... is there anything else that'll work?

Quote:
AGREE X2...and you can dip a Q TIP in oil and rub a bit inside the vent just be VERY careful, and boy STAND BACK when it blows
wink.png

Quote:
AGREE X2...and you can dip a Q TIP in oil and rub a bit inside the vent just be VERY careful, and boy STAND BACK when it blows
wink.png

If she is already clean then this is a good next step.

ok, did it, now to wait and see... and in the meantime deal with my little one who won't eat or drink or swallow and is on her way to starving herself...
sad.png
i've started to give up on this one...

Quote:
Have you tried offering Gatoraid? I will keep her from becoming dehydrated and the sugar will often stimulate appetite. Hard to know what is going on without more info.

Back
Top Bottom