Chick Can't Stand or Walk

RWDSteve

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 8, 2010
Hi, had my first batch of chicks this week. Hatched 5/6 but the 5th and last, which was overdue by about two days can't stand or walk after 36 hours of being hatched. As it was very late and seemed to be struggling I commited that cardinal sin of trying to help as the membrane had started to dry and stick to the chick, which seemed to be fading.

After doing some research it seems that alot of people find that a result of helping out results in walking problems.

I've strapped its legs to stop them straddling, as I have done with chick number 4 who also had straddle leg. This has worked for chick 4 and its bobbing around with the others just fine but the 5th and last one is still not progressing.

It's still in the incubator, on a cloth surface to help him grip with a bit of water and chick feed.

When it tries to stand or move about it throws its wings forward which doesn't seem to help, and it also sleeps with its wings spread.

Are there any other methods of recovering a chick like this or is it a more realistic view that its probably not going to make it?

Thanks for any help/info

Steve

I have never had this happen but have read about it countless times here. Hopefully someone with some knowledge on the subject will see this post. Mean while do a search on spraddle leg. I think that is what this condition is called. Good luck.

I had a quail do that, it took him a couple days to get up enough strength. I was going to cull him, but he could manage to get himself to the food and water dish so I decided to give him those couple days.

I've also had a couple never recover. My policy is essentially as long as they can get to food and water I'll give them some time to get stronger. If they can't, we hold a funeral for them (my niece insists).

All situations tend to be differant but we tried to save a barred rock chick with same problems. It took a long time to get out of its shell ended up helping. We hand fed /watered strapped/splinted its legs trying to straighten as needed. It eventually died. Can't say if we we did the right or wrong thing but it lived for two weeks in this situation. All we can do is try Nature will take its course. Only the strong survive thats the way it is. Good Luck!!

First thing I think I would do would be to get it out of the incubator and into a brooder box(by itself so it can't be picked on).

My nephew hatched out a chick like this (which he brought to me to try to save)-overdue hatching(left in the incubator too long), could not stand or walk-when she tried, she would fall down and roll. I gave her Vitamins in her water(PolyViSol without iron) and yogurt mixed with her feed to encourage eating. I also wrapped her in a sock with just her head sticking out so she wouldn't be rolling onto her back everytime she tried to move.

After a couple of dicey days, she was great(she's mine now)! It took a lot of time and effort, but totally worth it.

Sometimes a chick will hatch and have hock deformities. I think it is a nutritional problem.

Pick up the chick and look at it's hocks. If one or both are slightly swollen or appear bruised, this is your problem. This is not something the bird can adjust to and survive.

so i really need help! i bought a baby chick that is a Barred Rock chick will not stand! the other chick that is a Ameraucana will stand on top of it, the barred is all alone and wont stand or walk. he looks dead but he is still breathing /: someone PLEASE help!!! i just bought them today and they all seemed fine when we got them!
ps they are 3 that we got and the third one is a Buff Orpington i think.

Back
Top Bottom