Chick can't stand up - a solution without culling

VillageChicken

Songster
9 Years
May 24, 2010
Small village in Hungary
I had a chick that after 12 hours just laid on its side with both legs thrashing up around its head. It was strong and looked fine otherwise. All other 30 chicks who hatched at the same time were up and running within 4 hours.
I taped a long pipecleaner shaped like a fish's tail to the legs, with the "tail" sticking out back parallel to the ground, to keep the chick from falling over backwards.
Between the legs, on the pipecleaner attached to each leg I put a "twist tie" brace to keep the legs from going up around the head.
It spent the next half day learning how to lift its head and extend its legs properly, but by the next morning it was hopping around, learning to keep balance without falling forward. It has also learned to eat and drink, now that it can stand upright more or less.

All the posts I read on here said if it wasn't splayed legs, that I should cull. I just thought I'd post this so anyone else looking for a solution here won't give up.
I really think this guy is going to make it now. If anyone is interested I can post a picture, and will let you know how it fares once the brace is removed.

Im sorry-

what I did for a few weak standing chicks was actually like physical therapy-I picked them up and stood them the way they should stand but I made sure they were baring weight down-I would hop them along around to the feeders the waterers etc...I did this for a VERY weak duck baby too...most of the time it worked and within a few days they were standing on their own but it took alot of patience on my part. It was Friday when it happened and I have weekends off so I did it all weekend many times a day-by Monday am they were starting to do it on their own-12 hours hours isnt old enough for me to choose culling or not-72 hours after trying everything is-for me. Some chicks are extremly weak when hatching. That and I noticed some had huge bellies from absorbing the yolk and it threw them off balance-so hopefully in another day or so youll see improvement:)

Quote:
I've had the first Special Needs Chicks I've ever had (had to happen eventually!) in my last hatching go-round: two 'bators with 7 eggs and 1 with 3, all hatching same day. Four hatched in one just fine, five hatched in another but I screwed up and shrink-wrapped one of 'em, and one hatched out of the 3-egger. The last two chicks are my Special Babies. I had to intervene with the shrink-wrapped chick and it was very wobbly and weak from being trapped for so long. The other one just seemed to be a smaller, weak chick, even though it was the same breed/clutch as one the group in one of the 7-egg 'bators.

Both chicks were very unbalanced from the BIG tummies. As the yolk absorbed further, they were able to stay on their feet much better. Within two days, although they are smaller (and the formerly shrink-wrapped chick looks pretty raggedy still), they're both scooting around in the brooder eating and drinking and pooping. The bigger chicks picked on the smallest, so I put it back into the 'bator for another full day. The shrink-wrapped chick also stayed in the 'bator nearly 2 extra days.... but IT pecks right back at the others!

Time and patience and a little extra care works wonders. I was prepared to use the cup method on the shrink wrapped chick, but the extra time alone in the 'bator with two unhatched eggs gave it the support it needed.

Took off the brace yesterday morning, and he's able to stand and hop around. Both legs don't seem to work equally well, and I had to bandaid some soft toes on one foot, so it slides a little. But he stays upright most of the time, and is able to hop around to the food and water. I have great hopes he will survive, as he is healthy otherwise and a little fighter. Maybe he'll have a limp when he's older, but once he can use his wings, I don't think he'll have any problem getting around.

Happy to hear a good ending. Keep us posted.

To give you hope, I had a chick with a really bad leg when she arrived at my house. I gave her lots of TLC and chicken physical therapy and she's happy, healthy and thriving. She's my favorite chicken and she definitely bonded with me.

Quote:
I've had the first Special Needs Chicks I've ever had (had to happen eventually!) in my last hatching go-round: two 'bators with 7 eggs and 1 with 3, all hatching same day. Four hatched in one just fine, five hatched in another but I screwed up and shrink-wrapped one of 'em, and one hatched out of the 3-egger. The last two chicks are my Special Babies. I had to intervene with the shrink-wrapped chick and it was very wobbly and weak from being trapped for so long. The other one just seemed to be a smaller, weak chick, even though it was the same breed/clutch as one the group in one of the 7-egg 'bators.

Both chicks were very unbalanced from the BIG tummies. As the yolk absorbed further, they were able to stay on their feet much better. Within two days, although they are smaller (and the formerly shrink-wrapped chick looks pretty raggedy still), they're both scooting around in the brooder eating and drinking and pooping. The bigger chicks picked on the smallest, so I put it back into the 'bator for another full day. The shrink-wrapped chick also stayed in the 'bator nearly 2 extra days.... but IT pecks right back at the others!

Time and patience and a little extra care works wonders. I was prepared to use the cup method on the shrink wrapped chick, but the extra time alone in the 'bator with two unhatched eggs gave it the support it needed.

thumbsup.gif
its amazing that very thing that supports them nutritionally can be the very thing that hurts their surival!!

Back
Top Bottom