Chick can't stand up, can't hold head up, can't really move....happened quickly, what could it be? H

I did not have much luck at walmart as far as a light goes, but I did get a good scale so I can weigh her properly.

I had my bf put her box on top of my heating pad until I can get home in a couple hours, that will at least give her a little heat. There are several layers of bedding and dish rags between her and the heating pad so hopefully she will not get too hot. I can put her in my son's bathroom with a space heater if need be.

You can likely find a heat lamp at a home improvement store or tractor supply.

A small space heater in the bathroom should be fine to get the temp in the room to around 80 degrees or so.

Sorry, I just saw where you said 6ml... You must keep her warm, and as stated above, ~85 degrees does work best for most. You might also want to give just Pedialyte or Gatorade, repeat in 60-90 minutes if crop has cleared, then again in two hours.

-Kathy

Sorry, I just saw where you said 6ml... You must keep her warm, and as stated above, ~85 degrees does work best for most. You might also want to give just Pedialyte or Gatorade, repeat in 60-90 minutes if crop has cleared, then again in two hours.

-Kathy
Got a good scale at walmart, when I get home I will get a weight on her.... I have some chicken electrolytes I could mix up, but I would feel more comfortable with the gatorade or pedialyte probably, that way I know its not mixed too strong.

As far as meds, I have not given her anything. On hand I have sulfadimethoxine water soluble, oxytet injectable, tylan injectable, durmycin water soluble.

Today is a busy day because I have to meet my son's dad halfway so he can get him for thanksgiving, so I after i get off work, i have to make a 6 hour roadtrip. You think she will be okay not getting tubed every hour?

With my sick birds, I used chicken diapers while inside and the cheap ebay diapers worked great, but there's not much you can do with pasty butt as in your situation other than what you're doing already. I do hope your girl makes it. If she's not even opening her eyes for favorite treats, she's a very sick bird indeed.

With my sick birds, I used chicken diapers while inside and the cheap ebay diapers worked great, but there's not much you can do with pasty butt as in your situation other than what you're doing already. I do hope your girl makes it. If she's not even opening her eyes for favorite treats, she's a very sick bird indeed.
Yes she is definitely not doing well. Something is very, very wrong. i will try to get a video of her, that will be better than a pic. She only opens her eyes for a few seconds at a time. Seriously, I have no idea how she is still alive with the way she is acting. I was about 99% sure she was not going to make it thru the night but she did. She might not have if I didn't tube her last night. but I keep losing pullets, have tons of cockerels, so I am trying to save all the pullets I can!!

I do have some chicken diapers for my bantam hen as I usually let her have a few hours every evening of roaming around the house (long story, she is spoiled lol), but they might be too big for this chick. I'll have to check it out when I get home.... she is just laying in her poop more or less and it is very runny. Poor baby, I really wish I knew what happened to her!!!

My guess is that the transition to the coop with the older birds didn't sit well with her. She probably has not been eating enough because the older birds chase her or intimidate her when she tries to eat. You can keep feeding her and hope for the best.

Here is her latest poop.... It smelled soooo bad... Stunk up the entire bedroom... Smelled like someone ate bad Mexican food and got some hellacious diarrhea. On a positive note, her eyes are actually open.

Kathy, she weighs 9.5 ounces. How much and how often do I need to tube her?

She's 270 grams and you're giving her 6ml? You should increase that a little each feeding, but don't exceed 10ml unless her crop feels really empty. How skinny is she?

-Kathy

hmm i don't see noticeable blood, but it's possible.
It's a good idea to have Corid on hand when you have a flock. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...en medicine&qid=1448478467&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

It's much cheaper and readily available at farmer's coop or wherever farm supplies are sold.

Check out
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Also good/normal poo pics below. Watery cecal poos are always extremely stinky too me.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive.html

Back
Top Bottom