Chick chin tucked in, rubbing top of head on ground ... wry neck?

allebasi4

Songster
Apr 23, 2020
Northern California
Hi there, I have a 2 week old bantam Cochin who, a couple days ago, suddenly started an off behavior of keeping its head tucked in (beak to chest) when it’s sleeping, and when it starts to awaken it rubs the top of its head on the ground, shaking back and forth, and usually backs up. The night I noticed, it had been completely fine during the day but when I saw it I thought it was going to be a goner. I checked it over, felt it’s head and neck for any injuries but it seemed fine. I put it in a container in the brooder so it didn’t get messed with, but I came back in and it was walking around and got itself out of the container. Since then, it’s been eating, drinking, pooping and acting fairly normally except it seems to be having trouble tilting its head up, so it keeps it’s neck pretty rounded and tucked in and looks around with its eyes (more so than other chicks that look up and move their heads around to see). It’s acting like it may have bonked it’s head or pulled a neck muscle or something (they play pretty hard), but it also sounds like it could be wry neck.. though I’ve never delt with that. I haven’t given it any treatment, but it doesn’t seem to be getting better, or worse, so I wanted to reach out to see what you guys think.
VIDEO: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kmr85mgxsvd62k7/IMG_4490.MOV?dl=0
Video is from the first time I noticed, and it gets around fine now, but seems to still do the head rubbing thing when it’s waking up.

If you would post your video on You Tube, copy the URL, then paste that in a window here on your thread, it will automatically embed, and we can all watch the video.

Your chick does sound like it has a form of wry neck. It probably won't get better unless you treat it with vitamin E 400iu, all of the oil in one capsule each day until symptoms are gone. A tiny bit of selenium will help the E get absorbed better, or give a bit of soft boiled egg with it each day.

How is he now? If he lived, pics please! I love Cochin bantams, I own 4!
She (the only girl of 4 bantam cochins) ended up completely fine! She was a little wonky for about a week, but it slowly went away and I didn’t get vit e quick enough so I didn’t really treat her with anything. I think she might have bonked her head when they were playing or something. I don’t think I have a recent pic of her but here’s one of her brothers! (Trying to find a home for them)
EECB1DC2-59D3-4147-97AF-D35CB8D5645A.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom