Chick chirping loudly while pooping

Ihavenoideaee

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2020
Alaska
Hello everybody! My husband brought home 12 chicks almost a week ago. He got them from a woman on Craigslist and doesn’t know exactly how old they are but I guess them to be around 2 weeks old now. Anyways, one of them has started loudly chirping while trying to poop. She still is able to poop but she strains and is very uncomfortable. The poop isn’t dry but unless it’s diarrhea, she is very vocal about it. I have seen her eating and drinking which is a relief but I don’t know what to do for her. Any advice?

How does her vent look...any swelling or redness?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Pics of vent, poops, and brooder set up might offer clues.

Oh and.....Welcome to BYC! @Ihavenoideaee
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1584391773093.png

How does her vent look...any swelling or redness?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Pics of vent, poops, and brooder set up might offer clues.

Oh and.....Welcome to BYC! @Ihavenoideaee
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2053428
Thanks for the response! Her vent looks okay, it looks maybe a little dry. When she strains to poop, I can see that the inside is a little red but I have no idea if that’s typical or not. All the chicks are just eating chick starter. They have one of those long feeding trays with the holes on each side.

How do you think the best way to do this is? I feel bad just trying to put it in her mouth but she isn’t really pecking at it
From what I've read, haven't done it myself, is to cut a small piece and put it in their mouth, it will melt and they'll swallow it.
@azygous has experience with this and may have better tips than I.

It seems difficult to get a baby chick's beak open. It's so tiny for one thing, and they do manage to keep it surprisingly shut tight. It's also natural to worry you will hurt the chick by forcing the beak open, but it won't.

It can be done! If you really want to make it easier, appoint a helper. One of you holds the chick and does the hard work of prying open the beak while the helper slips the tiny slivers of solid coconut oil into the beak.

To get the beak open, hold the chick with one hand while slipping a fingernail into the beak with the other. You aren't going to pry it open too far, just enough to slide the oil sliver into the right side of the beak. The one holding the chick's beak open will then let the chick close the beak and swallow.

Points to remember: The chick's esophagus is on the right side of its throat (it's right, not yours) so introducing oil or water or food is safest from the right side. The second is the chick has to close its beak to swallow. Get at least half a teaspoon of oil into it. You can give it another half teaspoon it necessary.

It seems difficult to get a baby chick's beak open. It's so tiny for one thing, and they do manage to keep it surprisingly shut tight. It's also natural to worry you will hurt the chick by forcing the beak open, but it won't.

It can be done! If you really want to make it easier, appoint a helper. One of you holds the chick and does the hard work of prying open the beak while the helper slips the tiny slivers of solid coconut oil into the beak.

To get the beak open, hold the chick with one hand while slipping a fingernail into the beak with the other. You aren't going to pry it open too far, just enough to slide the oil sliver into the right side of the beak. The one holding the chick's beak open will then let the chick close the beak and swallow.

Points to remember: The chick's esophagus is on the right side of its throat (it's right, not yours) so introducing oil or water or food is safest from the right side. The second is the chick has to close its beak to swallow. Get at least half a teaspoon of oil into it. You can give it another half teaspoon it necessary.
How big of pieces should they be? I’m worried about them being too big

Back
Top Bottom